Banggood, VAT, import duties

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idk Tom, I mean the innovation of this style router plane goes back to Stanley in 1884, although even they were proceeded by Preston (the Preston pattern was quite different). My rather old record router plane is an exact copy of the Stanley, this Hongdui router is slightly different (the adjustment mechanism). I don’t think Stanley even make router planes anymore, so any new one I buy will be a copy.
If there were a viable UK made alternative I would consider it to support local industry, but afaik there isn’t. I don’t have any more connection to Canada (Veritas) or the USA (Lie Nielsen) than I do to China (Hongdui), so it’s all the same to me.
A fair question is why I want to replace my Record.l? The thing is, I don’t, but I’ve long wanted 2 so I can leave one set on the final measurement and use the other to creep up on it. There is a depth stop of sorts on the record, but it’s not at all accurate, so I looked for a used one, but they seem to go for £60-£100 and this Chinese one, if I believe the reviews has a really good depth stop and is not a lot more, so I’m going to give it a go.
Oh, I ordered it this morning and got a VAT receipt, so now I’m just waiting to see if I get the plane.
Mine has just arrived. So only a few days turnaround… I ordered just after midnight on Tuesday (so Wednesday morning, really) and it arrived just now (Friday morning).

Just arrived. Super fast delivery, got my VAT Reciept. No fuss.
Looks like a nice tool, no time to play with it today, but will report back

Must admit I was a bit of a tool snob and always put bangood down a cheap imported rubbish but I stand by the products I have purchased and I’ve not had a single issue, I’m intrigued by them selling what appears to be genuine bridge city tools that don’t look like copies because the prices are very similar to what you would buy from Axminster etc

Bridge city was bought by same parent as Harvey so now chinese owned and made. Interesting how they’ve taken the direction of it

Back