bandsaw tuning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Established Member
Reaction score
I just purchase a Lurem solo4, 400mm wheels bandsaw, and started to look into using in.
first thing i noticed was that the blade was "pulsating" back and forth in the saw, around half an inch.. so that's no good..what is it symptomatic of ?
the blade looks like it's a it old, and probably not very sharp anymore.
probably wasnt taken good care of. Could this be the cause of the blade behavious ? i am looking for a new one right now (2930mm).

Presuming that everything is trued up in the running gear and there's no Wheel damage, it sounds as if the blade is distorted - try a new blade.

That's often symptomatic of a poor weld or a cracked blade. Check to see if the blade back is straight over the weld. If one end was not cut square when it was welded, this behaviour would result. Similarly if the back is cracked (eg metal fatigue then similar distortion can result.

Cheers
Steve

Stef,
Now don't get annoyed I maybe teaching you to suck eggs.

1) Have you tensioned the blade fully. If its under tension then it shouldn't "waggle" to and fro.
2) Check the weld...is it flat and stable
3) Check the upper blade guides are in the right position and are a papers thickness from the blade
4) Repeat for lower blade guides
5) if still no improvement then buy new blade and repeat 1 to 4 above.

regards
Alan

Again, sorry if you already know this, but more obscure possibilities if all else fails are:

If the weld on the blade joint is sticking out a bit at the back and hitting the rear guide, then the normal cure to press a fine grindstone against the rear of the blade while it is running to gently flatten it.

If it is an older machine, then a wheel may have gone out of balance - perhaps even a balance weight has come adrift. A method to test and cure this is here. This worked well on my own bandsaw.

Good luck

Boz

Latest posts

Back