Bandsaw safety

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48NvcoqSbRQ (I would skip the first 1.5 mins)

Something similar happened to me about 4 months ago. I was also lucky and just had a bruised finger that got caught under the log as it was twisted into the table.

I had never been even remotely scared of my bandsaw until that moment. Luckily it gave me a bit of a wake-up call.

So. How should one approach a cut like this as I haven't had the nerve to go back to the log I was trying to cut?

Make yourself a cradle to hold it, it would be worth the time spent if you do a lot of this type of work - just an upgrade of what he is using with support under the front. If the bark doesn't matter too much cut some scrap to fit around the curve of the log and hot melt glue it. It should be supported right out to the perimeter of the log, if not slightly further. I'm just in the process of making one, but mine is to cut oysters rather than that large a section.
DSCN2210.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2210.JPG
    DSCN2210.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 158
Yep cradle or sled is the way to do and then use hot glue, wedges, clamps, anything really to hold the piece nice and firm so it be pushed through the blade in a controlled manner.

The log should be either in contact with the table or there should be a bed on your cradle so that the log cannot move downward

Back