Bandsaw opinion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hale

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm thinking about a bandsaw upgrade and not wanting to crash someone elses post, here's one I like trouble is my workshop if in the loft/attic, so I'm limited to what will go through the hatch, I've not found overall dimensions for this one, but here's one I like best so far 9" depth of cut and 2hp motor I've a link below sip 1444

www.rutlands.co.uk/machinery-&-accessor ... ty-bandsaw

Anyone got/use one?

John Hale":uqzcxzs8 said:
Hi guys,
I'm thinking about a bandsaw upgrade and not wanting to crash someone elses post, here's one I like trouble is my workshop if in the loft/attic, so I'm limited to what will go through the hatch, I've not found overall dimensions for this one, but here's one I like best so far 9" depth of cut and 2hp motor I've a link below sip 1444

www.rutlands.co.uk/machinery-&-accessor ... ty-bandsaw

Anyone got/use one?

john your post is caught in the spam trap - it dispears once you've made three posts , so one more and you are sorted

Well, I've got one of the cheaper 12" SIP saws (as have many others on this forum) and, for £200 or so, it's not bad at all.

What sort of work do you intend to do? This saw you are looking at will, of course, be built to a higher standard... Although, as Mark suggests, it is probably quite comparable to the ranges sold by Axminster and others.

Thats a bandsaw I've been looking at (online, at any rate) too, and the price in Rutlands seems to be considerably cheaper (to the tune of £100 - £120 less) than I have seen elsewhere.
Unfortunately, living up in Scotland, I know of nowhere nearby that stocks it to go and have a look in person.
So I am interested in folks opinions too.
Any idea why Rutlands is so cheap?

Adam S

Hi John,
Yes, I had seen the Scott and Sargeant website, but once you add VAT, it comes out more expensive. Having said that, I havent explored the delivery costs from Rutlands.....
I currently have the older Perform CCBB bandsaw, and it just isnt up to scratch.
I too am trying to get a guitar built in my garage! Been carving out the back and front for about 3 years!!!

Cheers,
Adam

John Hale":1knx3v5h said:
Adam it's even cheaper here http://www.machines4wood.com/mall/produ ... 1444/81373

The reason I'm looking at it it I'm a hobbyist guitar maker amongst other things and it has a larger motor than most at 2hp it has a 9" depth capacity for resaw work and takes 1" blades most axminsters don't and Jet are a £200+ difference
Just be careful with the 1" blade thing. My machine is the full height Axminster version of this which can, in theory, take a 1" blade, but even at the maximum tension it isn't as tight as it should be.

This is smaller and less structurally...erm..big :oops: so I would be very surprised if you could properly tension anything above 3/4".

John, you can do anything with a 3/4" blade. On a small saw, though it is the ability to tension such a blade that is the limiting factor, not the width of the wheels. The more steel there is the more tension it need. So on a small saw you are better using a thin-kerf blade and keeping the width to 1/2". A properly-tensioned 1/2" blade will give better results than an improperly tensioned 3/4" one.

That's quite a weight for the floor too!

Some lofts, I understand, are not structurally made to cope with large concentrated weight.

Back