Bandsaw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random Orbital Bob":wvfik83n said:
Sorry to hear of your bandsaw woes Woody

It is just a hiccup really. Was beginning to enjoy it but couldn't change blades due to the rise/fall mechanism being jammed. probably a big wood chip in the gears. Nothing like as quick as my tablesaw though.

Fortunately if all else fails I hope soon to have the Holbrook working. Then if need be I can make anything for the saw or my lathe. The bandsaw table is really too small for ripping longer than a metre logs. also I will make a jig eventually for cutting bowl blank circles.

How is the RP saw going ?

Grahamshed":30qy8rf5 said:
This is a good thread now I have started collecting logs and tree trunks :)

Seal them straight away which gives you a little breathing space and then Don't forget to rough turn them and seal the outside. That is what I have been doing the last few weeks with the beech logs I got now have a little pile and still have the hollow forms to rough out

DSCF3081_zps03f85dc6.jpg

Tip I heard yesterday - if you're cutting out bowl blanks then vary the side of the blade that you turn the circle around in order to even up the wear on the blade. This doesn't mean one on the left you must cut the next one on the right, but try to even it out over a session

Example :
if you cut 100 bowl blanks that were c. 8 inch diameter with a 2mm thick blade, then the
'inside' blade would have cut 100 x Pi x 200 = 62.8 metres
'outside' blade would have cut 100 x Pi x 204 = 64.1 metres
or 1.3 centimetres difference per bowl blank .....

Cut 50 on either side and each side of the blade will have cut 63.45 metres

Note - I don't have a bandsaw, so I'm not offering this tip based on experience !

Wybrook":2p1gmmnx said:
Tip I heard yesterday - if you're cutting out bowl blanks then vary the side of the blade that you turn the circle around in order to even up the wear on the blade. This doesn't mean one on the left you must cut the next one on the right, but try to even it out over a session

Example :
if you cut 100 bowl blanks that were c. 8 inch diameter with a 2mm thick blade, then the

Note - I don't have a bandsaw, so I'm not offering this tip based on experience !

I very much doubt cutting an extra 1 1/2 meters on one side or the other would make much difference. Well 2.5% difference, Pretty sure blade that is 97.5% blunt is not much better than one that is 100% blunt :)

Wybrook":2gr5vg54 said:

Example :

Will you be able to cut more bowls during the blade usable life by doing this. If not then is it worth the effort

It was more to do with if you want to cut straight items between bowl blanks. If one side of the blade is sharper than the other then it will tend to get through the wood more quickly, making the wood tend to wander.

Back