Bandsaw + blade perchase.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Long time no see.

I am considering about buying an Axminster AWHBS450N band saw. Is there any reason why I should not?

The other thing, what blades should I buy. Uses will include:- Cutting up logs for Sheela to either carve, or turn, which will include bulk removal, so a narrow blade would be preferable; perhaps planking, which will involve ripping and cross cutting; veneering, also cutting joints. The idea of the work shop is mainly for building furniture.

I have never had band saw experience, except in collage. So, I hope I have covered everything necessary.

Hope you can help. Looking forward to hearing from you.
ATB Gary.

It's surprising how much of a difference the right blade makes - for resawing or rough cutting through thick stock it's worth getting a blade with widely spaced teeth and large gullets - something like a 3 tpi skip-tooth blade.

I would read the bandsaw book by either Bird or Duginske before you shell out.

1 ? : the spec shows no negative table tilt which will be an issue for dovetails

The advice you've received already is sound. I'll be the first to recommend the services of Ian John at Tuff Saws when you come to buy your first set of blades (always buy more than one, just in case! :wink:). Ian will also be able to advise you on the best blade(s) available in his range for the work you intend to do.

Thanks guys for your input.

With my budget, and from what I have seen so far, the dove tail issue shouldn't be to much of a problem as I tend to do them by hand.

So, I think Axminster will be my next port of call, swiftly followed by Tuff saws.

Thank again.

Back