Bandsaw @ Aldi from Sunday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dedee":32cc3q07 said:
Paul Chapman":32cc3q07 said:
While some of their stuff is not very good, other items are excellent. I bought a really nice stainless steel garden fork and spade last year which was a fraction of the price you would normally pay. Excellent quality - although I had to shorten the handles. I think they were made in Germany where everyone seems to be 7ft tall :shock:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul, if used correctlly the long handled garden forks & spades, that seem more common in Europe, should put less strain on the back when in use. Longer levers.

I have a German brother-in-law who is always extolling the virtues of long handles, but I've never got on with them. Mind you, my brother-in-law is about twice my height and three times my width :shock: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I'm 6'6" tall and used to suffer agonies of back pain after digging, so I got a long handled spade and it's great. I thought B and Q sold them, but I got mine from a local garden centre. If you ask them they'll usually get one in for you.

Cornish spades have nice long handles - traditionally used for leaning on while watching the other fellow dig... :lol:

Totally agree Woodbloke, buy the very best you can afford, but not rubbish it will put you off or teach you bad habits.
Purchased three battery powered drills in one hit years ago from Lidl.
NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!

dedee":29e1lkv8 said:
Wizer, I have seem than over here but not sure where, probably either Ruxley Garden Centre or Polehill .... & Lidl or course.

Andy

cheers Andy, i'll try Ruxley

you mean locals in cornwall actually dig, i thought they only looked on whilst grockles did it :twisted: :lol:

paul :wink:

now there's a post for the sake of it :oops:

you could try talking to "niki"
he probably has a jig , or could fasion something
for a long handled spade :wink:

Matt wrote:
Yep, many not so cheap but ultimately DIY grade tools later, and I wish I'd bought better quality tools first time out. It's the accuracy that it the biggest problem.
This is why I like the Axminster catalogue. All of their power tools are graded from Hobby, Light Trade thru' to Industrial and at the beginning of the catalogue is definition of what constitutes each grade eg. the amount of usage per day that a particular machine would be expected to take without failure. I generally go for tools that are Industrially rated (if I can afford it) or Trade- then I can be reasonably confident that motors and bearings etc will go the distance - Rob

il carry on useing my set of axes and machete to shape my wood for now, untill i can afford a decent band saw,although it looked promising last week when i had my index and middle right fingers strapped up,im glad i didnt sharpen my tools that week!! i may well be counting my pennies on my toes yet

Hi,
I have just found and joined this forum and this is my first post. I have purchased quite a few power tools from Aldi, and have had no problems with them at all. I am a Mechanical Engineer with 34 years experience, so I think that I am qualified in making these comments about Aldi tools. They are good for home use, but they would not stand up to continuous industrial use. The bandsaw was in Aldi from last sunday(07/01/07). I am going to my local Aldi in the morning(Sunday) and if they have any bandsaws left I might get one. I do a lot of static model boat building and also have a garden railway. This bandsaw will be most adequate for those purposes. If there are none left, I will just have to look for another cheap band saw. Actually Toolstation have a hobby bandsaw in their catalogue for £43 including shipping. Thats my two penith worth, I hope that I can offer something to this forum.
Martin

Hi Martin, Welcome to the forum. I'm sure your mechanical engineering will come in useful on the forum. Its a shame my civil engineering hasn't much use here unless there is a need for surveying. :lol: :lol:

Hi,
In the morning(Sunday) I am going to my local Aldi to see if there are any bandsaws left. I will only be using the saw basically for model making. Can anyone please suggest a bandsaw suitable for model making purposes, mainly, model boat building and making garden railway buildings. Thanks
Martin

Shultzy":a41pfzq5 said:
Its a shame my civil engineering hasn't much use here

I used to be a civil engineer...

...AND NOW I'M A RUDE ONE!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve Maskery":17qd5bn2 said:
engineer one":17qd5bn2 said:
you mean locals in cornwall actually dig, i thought they only looked on whilst grockles did it :twisted: :lol:

Surely that should be "emmits"?
Ach, it's Devonians erroding the Cornish culture again - 'specially up in the east which is practically Devon anyway. I mean a Plymouth postcode forsooth? :shock:

Cheers, Alf

sorry but us people originally from the east coast above the wash show more respect to the people who come and pay for our winters :lol: :lol:

we'd never dream of relating them to ants :twisted: :twisted:
even if that's how they behave :roll:

paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back