Band saw box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
I have been making a fair amount of crochet hooks for various people and though a bit to one side about the sowing fraternity. They use a lot of pins don't they. These are some of them.

Crochet hooks 2 copy.jpg

Well SWMBO was asking if I could make her a better pin cushion as the one I made a long time ago was getting past its best. I came up with the idea of a magnetic jobbie. Nice and simple lump of wood with a thin slice off the top, 10mm shallow holes for the rare earth magnets I have and glue the top back on. Sand it down to 400 and hard wax oil and it's great. So more appeared
IMG_4356 copy.jpg

I thought on a bit and decided that the mag pin cushion works well, but where can the pins be stored? I have some oak from making a towel rail and it was just the right size. So being a band saw enthusiast and having a band saw that can cut straight I cut the cube, took the top off, next the sides came off the body and hollowed the interior. Then glued it all back together.

Next while it was still a sealed box I cut a thin layer off of the top and drilled the holes for 5 magnets using a 12mm Forstner bit, popped the magnets in with a bit of UHU POG glue or they are likely to leap back out before I could get the top back on.

Back to the band saw and cut about 1/4" below the solid top. Then carefuly cut to size the walnut strips that line up the top and hold it in place. Plonk the lid back on top and sand it all down to 400. That ensures that all of the sides are flush and give it a coat of hard wax oil and a coat of microcrystaline wax and as the Aussies would say, it looks fair dinkum, well I think so?

IMG_4755 copy.jpg

IMG_4757 copy.jpg
IMG_4759 copy.jpg
IMG_4760 copy.jpg

My dear old mam, needlework teacher, refused to let me make her a magnetic pin cushion. Then she asked me to imagine trying to get one, magnetised, pin from a box of pins.
xy

SWMBO loves it and it's the easiest thing to get individual pins and she has been using it for several months now. Plus they just stay where they are put when finished with.

Anyway, you don't take the individual pins from the box, they come from the top and the magnets are far stronger than any of the actual pins.

SWMBO loves it and it's the easiest thing to get individual pins and she has been using it for several months now. Plus they just stay where they are put when finished with.

Anyway, you don't take the individual pins from the box, they come from the top and the magnets are far stronger than any of the actual pins.

Ultimately that is all that counts.
Good stuff.
xy

Back