bad luck at the start of the season squarebox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got out to the workshop although it was cold, but the sunshine warmed the workshop doors and roof.

21wcoldbutnice.jpg

And with the help of one of these, I got the temp. upto to 60F

22wusedoneofthese.jpg

I worked on cleaning up the lid using the tablesaw with the riving knife dropped and because the blade is only set to 11mm height I took a chance pushing the lid past the blade using a large L shaped hold down.

19wlidfitted.jpg

I also cut rebates to all 4 undersides dropping the blade down to 4mm and everything went well, l did a final clean up with a bull nose chisel plane.

20wundersideoflid.jpg

Decided to put splines at the mitres, (first time I have done this) because the box is going to hold aound 50 DVD's and a bit of weight around.
Made this jig at the end of last season but first time of using.
I had to recut because of problems but still won in the end, I am going to use 6 mm splines of contrasting colours.

23w.jpg

Got the splines in. Wenge/sycamore/wenge laminations.

24wsplinesin.jpg

The 2x2" two foot length of wenge cost me over £8 last year and everytime I cut a length off I weep a little.

Cleaned up the splines with a japanese saw without any set to teeth, and tidied up using chisel, however having to doctor one spline owing to chipout.

25wsplines.jpg

It's starting to look good DW, My swmbo thinks its starting to look very attractive. I might be tempted to make some for our new grandaughters, but they are very young yet, so it may be a tuit job. Quite inspired by it. :)

I have found over the three years that the strip drop in box lid is very stable.
Minimal warpage and uses up all the offcuts and to me are attractive.

Digit":i8abv16u said:
What is that saw in your last pic woody?

Roy.

Its the Japanese Kugihiki Flushcut saw page 416 new Axminster Catalogue, Although I purchased a three saw japanese saw set last year that had on offer and I have been well satisfied.

Got a coat of shellac on last night and given it a coat of wax polish today.

26-3.jpg

Pleased to say the lid fits nicely, held upside down and with the wax polish on , the lid stayed in position.

27upsidedownw.jpg

Latest posts

Back