Back`s who would have one !!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well thats it , I think I will have my spine replaced with some plastic or fiberglass , as my current one is out of action again :roll:

Was down the boat club today , decided to take my 16 footer for a run down the creek , pulled the starter and BANG , ended up on my knees in agony :roll:

Cant walk at the moment , have to crawl on my hands and knees ,

and the PAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I broke my back (compression fracture) a few year's ago on the bike,its ok now, had the crawling game......Not good .Get well soon :( .

mine is getting worse and worse. driving me completely nuts. I am trying everything and nothing works. Starting to think it will be with me forever.

My sympathy. I too have injured my back in the past and done the crawling thing. I got one of these really thin inflatable camping mats (about 1 inch thick) and laid on it alll day. Between anagonising trips to the toilet and back.

Diazipam helped, although it makes you go nuts.

Its the little things you realise you can't do... Couldn't lean the sink to brush my teeth for months. Wiping.. lets not go there.... and leaning round to grab a seat belt.

Adam

Blister":1lq26rwp said:
Well thats it , I think I will have my spine replaced with some plastic or fiberglass , as my current one is out of action again :roll:

Was down the boat club today , decided to take my 16 footer for a run down the creek , pulled the starter and BANG , ended up on my knees in agony :roll:

Cant walk at the moment , have to crawl on my hands and knees ,

and the PAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In commiseration I know how you feel, I did my back in nearly thirty years ago. I can't sit in an arm chair for more than about five minutes so I lie on the floor to watch TV and about once a year I still knacker it up, worst thing is getting out of bed on a morning, I have to slide out of bed on to my knees then try and stand up. Some days I cant even put my socks on and there is no way I can use a bath :cry: (I do shower though) :lol:

You have my sympathy Blister, Been there done that.
Slipped a disc at work in 1974, had 2 months lying on a hard mattress on the floor. My wife lugged the tv upstairs (great heavy thing) so I could watch the world cup, wimbledon, and the cricket.
Lived on Coproximal tablets for the pain.
Got better though, had the odd off days, but no problems now, I am 70 though, Don't know whether you can wait that long :shock: :shock:

Get well soon Alan.

Only really done my back in the once - when I was a long-distance lorry driver.Just jumped down onto the front of the trailer (same as every day) and was suddenly somewhat uncomfortable in the lumbar region :shock:
And was away all week as well :( - remember being down on Felixstowe docks and having to keep getting out of the wagon to lay across the diesel tank hoping the corner of it would press my back into place again.

Get well soon - I hear woodturning is a good way of resting .. :whistle: :^o

Andrew

Well it looks like we should start a club guys. I did mine in around 15 years ago hitching a boat and trailer to the car! Didn't even reach the hitch and it went. have suffered ever since. My wife persuaded me to go to a Chinese Acupuncture and herbal massage doctor I did and had ten sessions at a cost of £300! Got to admit it worked a treat and I am no longer suffering so far. I do occasionally get the odd twinge which lets me know it is still lurking but I then just ease off a little. I also used to crawl out of bed and couldn't lean over something for long without it giving me hell. Quite a bit of money to pay for basically a massage but worth every penny to me. :wink:

I'm another one for the club. Strained a muscle in 1974 picking up a scaffold board which was more under a pile of rubble than I thought. Its never been the same since. I can't stand still for more than a couple of minutes, and if I bend more than 30degs from the vertical the ache starts. I still have all my limbs and faculties so I can't complain. :lol: :lol:

Damaged mine in my late teens, came back to haunt me at 5/6 year intervals from then on.

Used painkillers and osteopath for years - then it dawned on me eventually that I was only ever addressing the effects.

As of about 4 years ago, no further attacks. Warnings, but no 'flat on my back for days' stuff.

The solution for me has been a regular visit to a chiropractor. No pills, no probs. (touch wood).
But it costs - one 'service' session a month. Sometimes nothing's out of place, sometimes lots is.
And it took about 15 concentrated sessions to get it all aligned properly.
But they were trying to redress over 30 years of abuse!

It works for me. It does nothing for my brother (pills and an occasional visit to an osteopath). And my other brother had 4 vertebrae fused.

Just wish I'd experimented sooner.

Adam wrote
Wiping.. lets not go there.... and leaning round to grab a seat belt.

Know that and a lot more. :wink:

But I can't really complain after the years of abuse I gave my back.

Strange , when younger I jumped from prefectly normal working aircraft, jumped 6 foot walls and all sorts of obstacles whilst wearing green, all without ever thinking of the future pains and aches to come :? :roll: :cry:

Now and then my back tells me to sit down and rest , I know this when I too have to roll out of bed on to my hands and knees then I can stand up to get dressed.

Wish there was a spares department for spines

HS in Oost Friesland with the Flu :?

Another club member here, I played too much golf badly 30 years ago and ruptured a disk. Mostly OK after an initial couple of weeks of agony and a couple of years of merely severe pain, as long as I keep my stomach muscles toned - which gets harder as I get older and lazier..

I always have a supply of Naproxen in hand to reduce inflammation.

mine stems from a lifetime of bad posture. It has been really bad the past 4yrs. I have been trying really hard to correct it through pilates but it's near on impossible to change your posture after 27yrs :(

My warning to everyone who suffers is to stay away from long term anti-inflammatory use. I over used ibuprofen and paid with internal bleeding, anemia etc. I now only take co-codomal when it is particularly bad. Having said that, neither drug really helped to be honest.

I used to have regular back 'issues' - thankfully, generally nothing too serious (apart from once it locked up completely). Used to end up with a couple of days a year off work when I couldn't get out of bed in the morning. That was until my (current) employer sent me on a couple of manual handling courses (how to lift things basically) & bingo. No more back problems for probably five years now. Basically, it was all down to me not picking heavy items up correctly. Quite amazing really. Sorry, that probably won't help others much though.

Dad,

Pleased to hear that.
I teach manual handling (kinetic handling, akchewly!).
And it ain't that old rubbish lifting a box and putting it on a table stuff.

To those of you out there in pain, unless you develop correct handling techniquies you will carry on adding to the damage. So Dads advice might help.

Hope you get better soon.

I did the all fours thing last year on holiday, bent down to get the milk from the fridge and bang. The kitchen in the gite was so small I had to crawl out backwards :lol: . Scared the life out of me & the missus. The kids thought it was great fun until they saw how white I was!

Andy

been there and done that
paid out a small fortune in this treatment and that treatment
gave up on the NHS in the end and went and paid private
all of a sudden someone would actually listen to my explanation of how much pain i was in
after 5 years of a diet of pain killers and anti inflamatorys . i had to do something , spent a total of 13 months in bed over a five year period
had a disc removed and spent 3 months recovering
have not had a problem so far , but have got to take it steady for a full 12 month period
im with wizer here . long term use of A/I and pain killers is not good
i had terrible withdrawal symptoms , actually worse than the operation itself
if anyone else would like to follow in my footsteps. send me a pm and ill explain how to go about it {not being in pain , going private } you understand :shock:

Back