Back in Sawmaking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klaus Kretschmar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi handtoolers,

after a long brake due to some allergy issues I'm back in saw making together with Pedder again. Currently it's only possible to me to work with ebony and olive without having reactions. I'm happy enough being able to continue the handle making on this limited base. Better than nothing after all. The downside is, that both timbers are not that easy to get. Remembering the good wishes and appreciated hints I've got from UKW members, I want to show some of Pedders and my work after having restarted the saw making this year.

There are a few fine joinery saws with ebony handles like this one:

P1040122.jpg

P1040123.jpg

P1040127.jpg

Then a carcase saw with an olive handle

P1040128.jpg

P1040130.jpg

P1040132.jpg

A little crosscutter with anengraved spine done by Catharine Kennedy (Cloudy) and an extremely thin blade of 0.3 mm . The handle is Karelian birch. This handle was made of an older blank that I had only to finish more or less.

P1040134.jpg

P1040135.jpg

P1040136.jpg

Finally a prototype of a sash saw handle was done. The design compared to our regular sash saw handle was changed in order to make it some more "TLT".

P1040138.jpg

P1040140.jpg

Here a pic that shows a cocobolo handeled saw that was made in 2011 (it's my user) to compare the designs

P1040137.jpg

Cheers
Klaus

Back where you belong Klaus!! Excellent news for you and the World generally :D And as always, truly stunning saws.

p.s. wasn't it the cocobolo that started the problem in the beginning? And I'd always blamed it on Jim's cocobolo dt saw :shock:

Beautiful. Is the engraving of the back a new feature- I do not recall seeing it before on your saws.

Thank you, Gents!

@Douglas: Your memory is excellent. Yes, this saw handle has been the very first one, that caused allergic reactions. At that time I was silly enough to laugh about that however.

@Marcros: Cloudy engraved 2 sawbacks just for fun for us so this isn't a regular option. Since all of our saws are customized we certainly would get from Cloudy other spines engraved if somebody really wants this. No idea of the cost however (+shipping the spine to the US and back).

Cheers
Klaus

Beautiful work.

Glad that Ebony isn't a problem - one of your ebony handled DT saws is rising on my wish list :mrgreen:

Coco is notorious for it. I'm a little surprised that you are OK with Ebony, some people seem to have trouble with that. It seems to irritate me slightly but I certainly wouldn't call it a full blown allergy.
What about European woods such as Maple, Walnut, Cherry? Do they give you the same kind of reaction?

Ebony is completely uncritical right now as olive is as well. I hope it will stay so further on. Nearly all fruit woods aren't an option to me. They cause very heavy reactions, the worst is my absolute favourite handle wood plum. Ironically cherry doesn't bite me too much but I never was a fan of cherry for tool handles. Cherry is a wonderful wood for furniture making however. Walnut doesn't work. Maple and beech cause only smaller reactions like cherry. Knowing how quick these can grow, I try to avoid all woods that bite me regardless how strong. There are certainly some more woods that I'm probably able to work with. Right now I don't want to take a risk by testing more species.

To be honest Klaus, if I wanted one of your saws and you told me the only wood I could have was ebony, I'd just have to make do with that then. I'd feel slightly better if it had a nice MoP inlay in there I suppose. (English irony :wink: )

Back