B&Q Why even Bother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Price is not everything

Convenience, particularly when there is a problem is important. Also, there is no carriage costs or delays. I prefer to speakl face-to-face with someone when a tool has broken and will happily pay a little extra for it.

B&Q have been stocking this kit for several years - I got my Triton router from them over a year ago

I've receintly started purchasing more from B&Q since I discovered they price match. I have purchased a DeWalt router price matched to Toolstation, a Makita Jigsaw price matched to Axminster a few QuickGrip clamps, again price matched to Toolstation. Another good point, I purchased a PP Pro jigsaw about 2 years ago on a third off all powertools weekend. Hadn't used it much and it broke. Took it back and they refunded me in full (including the third off) in credit vouchers. Used these credit vouchers towards the Makita.

They also do the Diamond Card for the over sixties on a wednesday which entitles an additional discount. It says 10%, but it varies from 10-25%.

The B&Q I use in the Longwell Green one in Bristol.

Some of the Power Pro stuff seems OK. I bought one of those workshop vacs - the blue and yellow jobby. Actually turned out to be a bloody good bit of kit (to my surprise). Don't trust cheapo routers though - none of 'em.

As a hobbyist there are rarely times when I need anything instantly, but when those occasions do arise, B&Q's instant, off-the-shelf availability tends to outweigh the feeling that I'm being ripped off.

In any case where it's not time-critical, I either buy mail order (finishes, books, consumables) or support local independent dealers (power tools mainly).

Having said that, I tried to buy a can of MAPP gas for my blowtorch in my local B&Q the other week, and was amazed to find that they refused the sale on the grounds that I'm 20, saying I have to be 21 or older to buy it! The Screwfix catalogue mentions no age restrictions as far as I can see, so I expect it's a B&Q policy rather than the law. Can't really understand the point of that given all the other dangerous things one can buy/do before one's 21st, but I am now even less keen on shopping there than I was before.

Back