B&Q MDF and Pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
I normally use my local timber supplier, but due to time constraints I was forced to TRY B&Q. I wanted a 2m length of PAR pine 145mm by 18mm. There was 20 odd boards in stock, each one was so cupped they could only be used on the fire, how can they sell such rubbish.
The 1220mm by 607mm by 18mm boards looked fine until I got home and ripped some 100mm boards to join with biscuits. The joined surfaces were only flush on one side, I discovered that the original board was 18.2mm at one end and 19mm at the other. Returned to B&Q and was told they were in spec (rubbish) all the other boards in the pile were the same. Tried to explain about damp permanently affecting MDF this was a lost cause. Serve me right for expecting quality, totaly my fault.

newt":1zm4d1la said:
totaly my fault.

No, Newt, I don't reckon it was your fault at all. Some of the wood products the DIY sheds try to sell and they way they store them are disgraceful. If I were you I would complain to the manager of the store and if you get no luck there (like your money back) take it up with B&Q Head Office.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul, your right I will. I forgot to mention that the pine boards at Homebase were perfect, but nearly twice the price.

Lord Nibbo":s5preazp said:
Focus pine boards are pretty good in fact I would say perfect, and they are wrapped/sealed in polyethene.

I have had trouble with these sort of boards before - and I remember Woodbloke did as well in a post a few months ago. They sometimes warp quite badly even if you keep them at home to acclimatise well before using them.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Yes Newt, I too made the same mistake last year by buying some pine from B&Q. Only thing they were fit for was making propellers! :evil: I will never again buy timber from them. I do however buy their board material as it is pretty good and is stored correctly at my local store. Oh and in the end all I could use the wood for was smaller pieces as it was so twisted and bowed. :(

i agree that most of the sheet matls are good and cheap. the birch ply is good and also the mdf. the cutting saw in meir (stoke) is spot on every time. i feel the boards are stored badly and are still wet then they are brought in and twist and crack horrendously when they dry in the store. the wood is often the result of many many sortings and is the worst of the worst. the 9mm ply is rubbish.

I think B&Q use lower grade timber. It is not what I would call joinery quality. I have been forced to buy their timber on occasion. It might do as carcass timber but thats about all.

I went to B&Q equivalent in America (Home Depot). Oak PAR off the shelf

Just got some nice 8'x4' 9mm ply at the weekend from my local supplier, seemed reasonable at £12 a sheet

Back