b**** computers again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
what is about the latest machines they seem to be designed to cause problems. recently bought for a friend an ES from PC world, (i know but at that price etc, and the friend actually wanted a simple machine :? )

anyway having got it up and running, and even now collected to broadband, and solved with your help another friends' wifi problem, i come to the reason for this post.
upon boot up the machine eventually starts trying to instal a document viewer which seems to be tied in with network or something.
so i use ctrl alt delete and stop it, but o have read the details and it tells us to make an entry in sys, but having tried that it still doesn 't work.

so what am i missing in writing this jitdebug to sys??? am i not putting enough brackets or whatever??? any one got the correct way to write the whole thing so i can stop this from the get go, and where do i write it??
paul :wink:

Sorry Paul to hear your woes. I'm sorry but I can't really help. Maybe something in your startup items that needs removing? Can you start in safe mode?

Hopefully someone will be along to provide more help. Your problems are by no means exclusive to you and one of the many reasons why I dumped using PCs.

Paul,
I'm not familiar with IE7 but could you try uninstalling the doc viewer application (Adobe Acrobat perhaps?) & then reinstalling taking care with the installation settings. If it's not Adobe the just ditch it and load the free version of Adobe.

Like Roger this type of problem and my unwillingness to want to learn how to sort them out led me away from PCs.

Andy

hi guys, not sure this is an ie7 problem, since it has not happened on my other machine.
anyway the instructions tells me its a microsoft product, what i need to figure is where in sys edit i must place the instruction.
:roll:

Hi Paul,

I believe this is a printer problem caused by MS Windows. If you don't have a printer installed, it trys to use Microsoft Office Document Image Writer as a default printer.

So, could you please try the following ;
1. Attach and install a printer to your PC.
2. Set the new printer as the default printer (click on Start -> Printers and Faxes. Right click on the new printer and select 'Set as default printer').

It that doesn't cure it, please let me have a screen shot (or the syntax) of the errors you're experiencing.

Gary

hi grebo, that seems an interesting answer since in fact it did come up after i had installed the hp all in one device.

it seems to be a 1706 error, but when you go to check it at micro soft, you do not get an answer.

will look at it again and see what i can discover,
thanks for the idea.

I can't think of a good reason why a document viewer should ask you to start poking around in system files.

You can however remind your computer who's boss.

1st of all you could try the System Restore utility to return the PC to the way things were before it all went pear shaped. You'll find it via Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.

Alternatively, if you're feeling brave there's a more brutish method...

Pick Run... from the start menu. Type msconfig at the prompt.
The System Configuration Utility will pop up. It will have a row of tab buttons along the top. Pick the far right tab labeled Startup. You'll be shown a list of programs that windows automatically runs when you boot up your computer, each one having a little tick box.

Windows doesn't need any of them to run. Most of them will be assorted rubbish that's of no use to you, though some are useful; if you've got ant-virus software it will be in here for example, though might not be listed with an easily recognisable name

Anyway, it's safe to un-tick the lot, click OK and reboot. That should solve your problem, but might leave you without any anti-virus or a 3rd party firewall if you use one. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling them - that will fix the problem.

Alternatively you can go back to the msconfig utility and start switching start up programs back on one at a time and rebooting. A process of elimination and educated guesses ought to get you to the position where you're only running nice things that don't break your computer.

Once you're done, check the Windows Security Centre is happy. It's also found in Accessories > System Tools.

That said - it does all sound like Adobe Acrobat. You could try to manually download and install the offending article.

Back