Axminster TS 250 Blade Hitting Dust Extraction Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I got an Axi TS250 for Christmas, full kit. Have been puting it together in slow time, did my first bit of ripping the other day. Was rather surprised when sparks started flying! Thought at first that there was a nail in the timber, but in fact the blade was hitting the side of the dust extraction box. If you view the blade from the frornt there is very little clearance to the metal box side. It is the same with the supplied blade and my own blade.

If you take the blade to full height and push very slightly on the left side of the blade while turning it you can hear it scrape the side of the box (power off of course).

So my question is for others with this saw, is there much clearance on the left side of the bladeto the dust extraction box?

I would like to establish if this is normal. I think the rip fence was slightly out of alignment which caused the problem to occur, but such small clearance does not seem right to me.

There was a thread the other day mentioning an issue with the dust extraction catching n the blade when lowered fully. Not sure if it is the same issue.

Thanks Marcros, looked that up but it seems to be a different issue. My problem is the blade itself hitting the metal dust extraction wrap around box.

Can anyone else who has a TS250 older Mk I model, not the new one just out, tell me what sort of clearance there is between the left hand side of their blade and the dust extraction housing. Is it 1 mm or so, i.e. pressing on the right rear side of the blade and turning gently (plug out of course), does this cause the blade to grind on the dust extraction box?

This seems far too close to me, and there does not seem to be any sort of adjustment for this.

I take it you have tried slacking the Allen bolts on the table top to wiggle the blade mechanism away from dust unit? Or are they attached?

Not tried that but the dust mechanism attaches to the riving knife mechanism so it should be one unit, but i'll give it a go.

MikeH":3870kf0c said:
Can anyone else who has a TS250 older Mk I model, not the new one just out, tell me what sort of clearance there is between the left hand side of their blade and the dust extraction housing. Is it 1 mm or so, i.e. pressing on the right rear side of the blade and turning gently (plug out of course), does this cause the blade to grind on the dust extraction box?

This seems far too close to me, and there does not seem to be any sort of adjustment for this.

Mike, I'm collecting a TS250 tonight if you are still looking fro that info? 2003 model, that should be a mark 1 I think??

i didnt realise that the ts250 had been around that long- I thought that the axminster one was introduced a couple of years ago at most. It isnt a record ts250 is it?

Thanks all.

This is the Axminster TS250M, but not the new one they have just started to market (TS250M-2).

All that said, Axi are picking it up this afternoon to take it away, I just wanted to see what the clearance on the left of the blade to the casing of the Dust Extraction box was on someone else's version. I do not think this is right, especially as pushing lightly on the left of the blade causes it to catch the metal box of the dust extraction.

I'll se what they say when they get it back to base.

marcros":3ouft5hj said:
i didnt realise that the ts250 had been around that long- I thought that the axminster one was introduced a couple of years ago at most. It isnt a record ts250 is it?

Don't think so.. not seen it in the flesh (taking a chance!) just got the plate data TS250 with 2003 on it. Oh, and the serial number started 0308nnnn too. wasn't aware that the same model number was used by more than one maker.

Sounds like a nice piece of kit. Well done, although if you were expecting to collect 35kgs of axminster, your poor old back will notice the difference.

marcros":j11vo86b said:
Sounds like a nice piece of kit. Well done, although if you were expecting to collect 35kgs of axminster, your poor old back will notice the difference.

:) it did

Apologies to MikeH for the detour, I'll move this to its own thread.

Back