Axminster TH410 Buying Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris-a

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Axminster TH410 thicknesser? There seems to be limited info out there so trying to decide if its a good purchase is quite difficult. I currently use PAR timber so just need to get it down to size but will look to get a surface planer down the line.

I like that you can fit a digital counter, but don't like the absence of micro adjust blade screws/quick change blades etc making blade changes a huge faff. I'll be doing quite a bit of thin fine stock too so if anyone can chime in on quality of cut/whether the rollers leave tracks or not would be great.

Pros;
Wide capacity (i make a lot of trays so this is good)
Quite well powered
Digital counter option
Can process stock as short as 200mm

Cons;
Price, seems to have jumped up recently I think, as has other Axminster stuff
Blade changing
No idea on what the finish is like
I need it ASAP and Axminster delivery times are fairly long

Other option is to just get a Startrite SD31 P/T which seems to be good bang for buck, but again thats a bit of an unknown entity or theres a nice looking Cooksley thicknesser on the bay but I have absolutely no knowledge on that whatsoever.

Or someone could sell me their TH410 2nd hand for cheap ;) any info is much appreciated, cheers!

it would limit your options a bit, but I would look for something with a tersa block on it if you can.

marcros":1k2xaedx said:
it would limit your options a bit, but I would look for something with a tersa block on it if you can.

That would be ideal but unfortunately my budget cant stretch to anything with a tersa block :(

it would stretch to the inca 570, but that sadly wouldnt have the capacity of the TH410, and you may have to wait a while on ebay.

I have had a few bits of axminster trade range, all secondhand and i do rate it highly. Whether it is better or worse than the other brands, I dont know, but it is always one that I would consider when buying.

Make sure you check the power requirements- these things can need 16A and draw a fair amount of current on startup, plus extractor.

That particular machine is only 12amps nominal, but is so close to the possible MCB rating supplying it you will need to change it to a "C" type (motor rated) if you have not already, surprising how many workshops I see with a supply run from the house off a 13amp ring main instead of a dedicated consumer unit supplied off the incoming house main at least that way the operator would be protected by their own RCD, I use two pole MCB's as well, these give an over 3mm gap when tripped on both phase and neutral, much safer.

Mike

Yeah I have a dedicated CU with a type C breaker as I have a couple other bigger machines so no worries on that front.

Latest posts

Back