Axminster Super Precision Chuck ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a new lathe - need a new chuck.......looking through the Axminster catalogue I see they're doing an offer on the above chuck - int' & ext' jaws + Dovetail jaws all supplied in a flight case @£149 inc' your choice of backplate.
Seems a good price - anyone got one of these or experience of them?

My only previous use of a wood chuck was a Peter Childs Masterchuck - which is rather limited and finicky in it's gripping capabilities, though once gripped - it stays with the wood !

Chris.

Chris,

I have both an APTC SP chuck and a record power RP4000 chuck. In my opinion the APTC SP chuck is the leader of the field for the following reasons:
1) I cannot think of a work holding situation that there are not a set of jaws available to deal with.
2) It's build quality is excellent (However, see note below)
3) It is future proof - If you get a new lathe, just buy a new backplate.
4) You can buy additional jaw carriers (you cannot with the record and if you change jaws often it is a real pain to keep unbolting the little allen screws (this problem is worse still if you make you own jaws and have to align then each time - bowl reversing cole jaws for example)
5) The deal they have at the moment is fantastic (although I am not really sure of the use of the external / internal jaw sets but they are thrown in so what the hell!)

So, what are the down sides?

1) COST! It is the most expensive and if you decide to get a set of jaw carriers for each set of additional jaws you buy then the cost will add up.
2) Size - it is a large & heavy chuck. OK if you have a reasonable size lathe but it may be a bit big for the small lather (I have an Axminster M900 and it is about as small a lathe as I would use one on - weight / distance away from headstock vs machine bearings considerations etc).
3) I said in (2) above the build quality is excellent (which it is). However, I too bought my SP chuck on the deal you are looking at when it was first launched approx 18 mths ago. I had to return the first chuck as the action was very stiff. Apparently there are two sources of these chucks both made for axminster to (I am told) the same standards and tolerances. The ones sold as individual items for full price in the cataloge are Romanian, the ones sold as the kit are Chinese. However, when I took my first chick back for exchange I was told that all the future chucks, both sold as part of the kit and individually would be the Chinese one I was exchanging. Was my first chuck a rogue bad one? I am not sure, all I know is that the one I exchanged it for is A1, there was no bother in getting the exchange and I am v.happy.
4) I had to do a little draw-filing before I used it to remove the rough edges. 10 mins work but should it not be already done on the top of the range item
5) It is not coated / plated. This leaves it open to surface corrosion where as the record chuck IS plated and will always be shiny.

So, with £149 to spend on one one chuck which would I buy, I think I would have the APTC SP unit.

Hope this helps, PM me with your number and I will give you a bell if you want to have a chat about it.

Simon

Have you seen the earlier threads on chucks (Rutlands etc)

Unless things have changed the Ax sp was out of stock when they were posted.

Thanks for your replies - yes, I had seen that thread - and hopefully APTC will be responding to my emal as to when they might have stock again.

Check out the versachuck from The Toolpost as well. Again it is a large capacity, heavy chuck that takes all the different manufacturers jaw sets.

Very similar to the Axminster if I recall and it used to be much more competive on cost although that may have changed now with the special offers from Axminster.

On first look, the Versachuck looks quite a reasonable price and specification....I couldn't work out what p&p would be though. However I think that the engineering jaws supplied withe the Axminster would prove very useful.

Though Simon's comments about the 'package deal' being sourced from China and in his experience not too good make me hesitate. Axminster do tend to let things slip at times in their search for competetive prices.

Chris.

I emailed axminster regarding the SP package, It's expected to be back in stock next week.

Interesting comments about the quality of the SP though.

Yeah, I spoke to them on the phone today....they said in 2 or 3 weeks, they had to fill some back orders first. Sales spoke to someone and reckoned they were made & assembled there in Axminster........

Chris

Chris,

I have been on a tour of the APTC workshops where they do all their CNC work and make the chuck parts. The important word here to note is 'parts'. The make some of the spare jaws, faceplate rings, jaw carriers etc on site but the chucks themselves are imported.

Also, in my earlier message I may have overplayed the QC card. Yes, the first one was a little stiff but if I had not used a SP before then perhaps I would have not said much (although I would have developed one fore-arm bigger than the other - no comments please!).

If you have any questions then I would be tempted to give the shop a ring and speak to either Colwyn or Jason as they are both expert turners and know their stuff 100% (although obviously don't expect to come away with a recommendation to go for a versachuck!)

BRgds
Simon.

Back