Axminster SDS100 Dust Seperator *False Spec*

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprasport

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly sorry about the long post, but this is just the icing on the cake with a catalogue of bad customer relations with axminster power tools.

I recently purchased an Axmister SDS100 dust separator from ebay and a 3rd party seller, I presume the seller had purchased a pallet of returned items from axminster that they sell from time to time.

The machine is advertised in current catalogues and on the axminster website as having an airflow of 1100 cubic m/h I have since found out that the machine is labeled as having only 196 cubic m/h i contacted axminster who in turn contacted the manufacturer and they have admitted that the spec is wrong and has been tested at 750 cubic m/h which i personally find very hard to believe now having a machine to compare it with, and would say it is nearer in my opinion to the 196 cubic m/h.

Having said all this and axminster admitting the spec is wrongly advertised they are refusing to compensate me directly and insisting that I get a refund from the seller. Which I am aware is the correct procedure, but I am amazed that they were not willing to try and sort out their own mistake at source. Not only that but now the seller has now to be caused hastle and inconvenience through no fault of his own. It also makes me wonder what other machines are wrongly labeled or have wrong specification advertised, as well as what happened to the customer satisfaction and customer service.

May i suggest that anyone who has purchased one if these machines that they have been selling for "years" post here and get in contact with Axminster for either compensation or a full refund I am not 100% certain of timeframe but i believe this to be within the last 6 years.

I have kept all emails and all correspondence with Axminster for reference.

12345.jpg

1234.jpg

Axminster have corrected the specifications on the website for that machine now. I would expect that anyone who contacts them re incorrect specifications would probably get refunded if required - such has been my experience with APTC s customer service. I have to say though that you didnt buy the machine from them and so I wouldnt expect them to be prepared to offer refunds to you. They might in the name of good customer relations and that would be very good of them but then I wouldn't expect it by any stretch of the imagination, after all you're not a customer you just have a product badged by them that you have bought from someone else who you suspect yourself bought it "as seen" on a palette.

Cheers Mike

Good Surname or what ?":3h415syr said:
suprasport":3h415syr said:
...a catalogue of bad customer relations with axminster power tools...

I think this speaks volumes about this post. Most of us have nothing but praise for APTC's customer service.

And that is exctly why I have spent thousands with them, and until recently has been true, Machines sent with no power leads which i then had to source and buy, other wrongly advertised merchandise, and failed promises of delivery. Do not try and make out that i am someone who is just picking fault! I am extremely laid back and have taken a lot from them, but enough is enough.

I didnt expect a refund but did hope that common sense would prevail in respect of sorting this out, and as for the comment about sold as seen, this exactly my point. It is not what was seen on their site. They will end up refunding on this machine regardless whether through me or the seller. As stated good customer relations would have meant miss out all the messing around and keep a good customer happy. It is still going to be the same result in the end, i was nothing but polite with them and i was told they didnt care by one particular person. i also have a quote from a certain employee of aptc who i will not mention that recently they have noticed that the customer service has nose dived.

I am not getting into a debate over how good or bad APTC are I have given facts and info it is now for other people to make up their own mind as to whether they decide to act on it.

suprasport":3p2cnokr said:
They will end up refunding on this machine regardless whether through me or the seller.

I doubt that if as suspected the original sale was one of their "piled on a pallet" specials. I don't think they do refunds on that at all unsurprisingly. They do tell you upfront though that some of the kit on the pile may not even work.

You also have to take into account that they have no knowledge of its provenance ie the machine could be off the back of a lorry and you're trying to do a cash back thing with it (I'm not suggesting that that's the case) but they have no way of knowing otherwise.

Cheers Mike

mr":24uhacbw said:
suprasport":24uhacbw said:
They will end up refunding on this machine regardless whether through me or the seller.
You also have to take into account that they have no knowledge of its provenance ie the machine could be off the back of a lorry and you're trying to do a cash back thing with it (I'm not suggesting that that's the case) but they have no way of knowing otherwise.

Cheers Mike

I agree with the above statement, but whether refunds are not offered or otherwise, they will still have to refund on a wrongly advertised product.
trading standards have already been brought in on this and they have also stated this to APTC.

My point being that they didn't wrongly advertise or sell the product to you. The original buyer has a case with them unless he/she bought it as part of a job lot of returns etc in which case individual machine specs are irrelevant as they say that the machines can't be relied on to be in any particular condition. Of course we have no way of knowing what the case was in the first instance, APTC might if they are in possession of serial numbers etc. I would be suprised if Trading Standards take any other view. But do let us know how this resolves.

Cheers Mike

As already mentioned Trading standards have taken the same view!

One other point is that i never asked for a refund or to return the product directly to them, and left the decision as to any form of compensation to them.

They never even offered an apology.

There is absolutely no point in twisting this one way or another. End result they advertised a product wrongly and have sold hundreds of these machine under false pretences. Yet cannot even offer any form of apology even verbally.

That is not in any shape or form good customer service in my book!

This was not started to debate whether APTC are any good, but to let people know who have purchased this machine that it is not as per the description and they are entitled to a refund.

If people want to just post about how they like APTC then start an APTC appreciation topic.

I'm sorry but I think you are being a completely unreasonable here. Axminster have no contract with you and therefore absolutely no obligations. To expect compensation just because it is one of their products is just plain ridiculous.

If the seller you bought it from used the specifications from the Axminster website, then it is up to him, not APTC.

Customer services from Axminster have been exemplary in my experience. In fact I am currently in conversation with Richard@Axminster on this forum regarding a problem with my thicknesser. He has been brilliant.

Slim":1x3zvfqg said:
I'm sorry but I think you are being a completely unreasonable here. Axminster have no contract with you and therefore absolutely no obligations. To expect compensation just because it is one of their products is just plain ridiculous.

READ!! and then show me at what point i have said i expected compensation. I have been more than reasonable with APTC and with Richard, who himself made false promises.

On the other hand if for instance the seller offers no returns sold as seen or has indeed disapeared off the face of the earth then why should i be then left with a machine that is not as advertised through APTC's error ?

Also at what point do i suggest that i am asking for anything, i have and i will check spelling this time just incase you cannot read it properly, simply supplied facts for others who have bought this machine. it was not a topic for to me to moan and get sympathy, i will deal with it my own way. Its the 3 people who have posted that are twisting this into something that it is not.

Get a life and stop turning this into a love/hate about axminster.

Well, you're really showing yourself in a great light now Shaun. :roll:

suprasport":32jta0r3 said:
READ!! and then show me at what point i have said i expected compensation

OK...

suprasport":32jta0r3 said:
Having said all this and axminster admitting the spec is wrongly advertised they are refusing to compensate me directly and insisting that I get a refund from the seller

They can't refuse compensation unless you have asked for it.

I could understand it if your bought it from Axminster, but you didn't. Its a plain and simple fact. Axminster are not responsible. 90% if the internet is inaccurate, it doesn't mean you can hold the purveyor of that information responsible for the result of using that information.

oh yeah and I have a life, thank you.

Your signature leads me to believe you are a regular champion of comsumer rights.

Edit: my comment now editted out did seem too personal on re-reading.

but you did say
May i suggest that anyone who has purchased one if these machines ... get in contact with Axminster for either compensation or a full refund

Good Surname or what ?":3eenftid said:
Your signature leads me to believe you are a regular champion of comsumer rights.

You didn't by any chance buy it having spotted the alleged discrepancy in specs and seeing an opportunity?

Pathetic, and back up your allegations before throwing them about. How would i know until i had bought it can you see the label from the stock picture? Funny how you can make opinions but do not like them to given back.

Slim. Dont presume you know me! or make stupid comments please. The actual conversation went along the lines of yes we admit the spec is wrong and we will change the next catalogue as for refunding you in anyway we will not do that. I had already told them i wasnt after anything in particular as stated above i originally contacted them to see what the real spec actually was, they have presumed i was after compensation of some description. So yes they can refuse without being asked!

I really couldnt care less what your opinions of me are. You have seemingly read what you have wanted to read and made silly assumptions. Please yourselves. I will not lose sleep over any of this nor the machine in question.

Axminster have mis-sold the sds100 full stop.

Mike.C":qusmisip said:
Come on lads lets not get personal, we are all here to help each other, and have fun, not slag each other down.

Cheers

Mike

I Totally agree and am amazed how this topic has turned out :?:

Shaun. Don't be so confrontational. Just because we disagree with you doesn't mean we are attacking you.

Good surname, was a bit out of order, but he has seen sense and removed his comment.

Thank you Phil.

Slim i didnt mean to be confrontational in the slightest but it did seem like I ws being attacked left right and centre, hence I defended myself, I never asked for opinions on whether i should be compensated just giving the full story.

Anyway hopefully thats that and people can now just see the thread for what it was meant to be and that is information about the extractor. If i worded it wrong in any other respect then I APOLOGIES.

cheers
Shaun

Back