Axminster MB9020 Benchtop Planer Thicknesser Mini Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had my MB9020 for a while now and would like to add a couple of things which I found:

I set it all up and used it for a while, everything fine. Then started getting quite a bit of snipe, whatever I did. I have been reliably informed this is an outfeed table mal-adjustment, but the MB9020 has no outfeed table adjustment!

So I took the whole thing apart, put a heavy straight edge on both tables and put it all back together again, tightening all nuts and screws lots. I took the blades out, re-aligned them both twice with the setting tool and it is now brilliant!!

Great little machine especially for the money!

Well folks, seeing as I'm just about to buy a P/T and am really agonising over which to buy, this thread is appropriate! So now its one year on from when a number of you purchased the MB9020...any regrets? Any "I wish I'd bought the XXXX brand instead" or I wished I spent more and got the xxxx machine etc etc???
I'd really appreciate your thoughts and findings?

Thank you!

Just read this info on the axminster planer....i was just wondering Chems or anyone who's used it, hows it coping now? A year on...any problems? As im thinking of getting one soon :)
Cheers,
Charlie

Hi all, just been looking at the knife settings on my MB9020 (more out of interest than any due to any problem) and found it difficult to turn the knife block by hand to view the second knife. What happens is that when I try to rotate the block it just springs back to the staring position. Is this supposed to happen? If so how do I get access to the other knife? Any help/advice much appreciated.
Cheers,
Andy

yosithi":1rsen7aw said:
Hi all, just been looking at the knife settings on my MB9020 (more out of interest than any due to any problem) and found it difficult to turn the knife block by hand to view the second knife. What happens is that when I try to rotate the block it just springs back to the staring position. Is this supposed to happen? If so how do I get access to the other knife? Any help/advice much appreciated.
Cheers,
Andy

I can turn mine by hand from above quite easily! :?

If you take the large grey side guard off (4 nuts and two screws) you have access to the drive chain and pulleys. You can turn the large toothed cog easily, this will move everything including the knife block! It might be an idea to lube the chain while the guard is off!!

After removing the casing, a little gentle persuasion sorted it - many thanks for the advice.

Hi I have just bought this planer and I wasm'y sure if the blades are set ready to go out of the box so I used the setting tool to set them. After doing that I turn it on and the cutting block got stuck. Firstly can someone confirm when setting the blade using the tool should the blade be position where the red line or the black line is in the photo? I set it with the blade where the red line is. But it seems more of the blade sticks up on the side next the fence than the other which might be the problem. I have reset the blades a few times and the same thing happens. Any advice.

Attachments

• DSC00158 2.jpg
    DSC00158 2.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 79
Hi there,
I was thinking about getting this along with the Axminster RDC100H Vacuum Extractor and wondered if anyone could advise me on how much of the dust would escape the extractor and go flying out from the planer or thicknesser when in use. How effective is this combo, or similar extractor with the planer?
Any help appreciated
Thanks

sparkus88":wgo9bmt3 said:
Hi I have just bought this planer and I wasm'y sure if the blades are set ready to go out of the box so I used the setting tool to set them. After doing that I turn it on and the cutting block got stuck. Firstly can someone confirm when setting the blade using the tool should the blade be position where the red line or the black line is in the photo? I set it with the blade where the red line is. But it seems more of the blade sticks up on the side next the fence than the other which might be the problem. I have reset the blades a few times and the same thing happens. Any advice.

G'day,

I had the same issue with the setting tool myself this evening. The instructions say that the tip of the setting tool should be on the edge of the blade, which is an almost impossible thing to do reliably or consistently. The result each time was the same as you, higher blade height on the fence side.

The instructions were also not clear to me as to the position of the infeed table - e.g. should it be at 0 when setting the blade height using this tool or otherwise. I tried all sorts of combinations and when I finally got the blades level across the block, they turned out to be too low and didn't cut to the same height as the outfeed table.

I gave up for the night as it was getting too late to make noise testing each time I adjusted. I will try again tomorrow after work and use a heavy square to set the level of the blade to that of the outfeed table across the length of the blade.

Cheers

Leigh

The post, above that you replied to is nearly 4 years old.
If you are having problems with you're MB9020 planer blade setting, I suggest you start a new post.
It's more than likely someone will be able to help
Regards Rodders

Back