Axminster & Lie Nielsen products

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if Axminster are ceasing to sell LN products?

I got a "10% off" voucher from Axminster this am, and was just browsing their site. It seems that most of the LN plane range are "currently out of stock". Wonder if this has anything to do with Rutlands starting to sell them????

Cheers

Karl

Don't know about that, but I just placed an order straight to the factory with about ten planes and a load of other stuff and they estimated that they could deliver maybe 3-4 weeks from the order. So it seems they might just be busy :)

Pekka

LN has trouble keeping up with the demand for a while now (seems to be resolving) resulting in Axminster and other stores having trouble in keeping stocks.

LN have had some issues lately with staffing and order backlogs which TLN says are now resolved and they are trying to catch up

I wonder how much TLN pays for a sweeper upper in the Lie Nielson sweatshop? ;)

Pekka Huhta":23ivxs4p said:
Don't know about that, but I just placed an order straight to the factory with about ten planes and a load of other stuff and they estimated that they could deliver maybe 3-4 weeks from the order. So it seems they might just be busy :)

Pekka
No wonder theres none left for anybody else when your ordering ten at a time :lola:
It will be interesting to see if quality slips if the factory is eyeballs out to meet demand .I bought large shoulder plane 12 months ago and was a bit disappointed to find razor sharp edges straight off the grinder 2 minutes with a fine stone was all it tuck,but for top money it shouldn't be nessecary ok moan over cheers john c

John C":29e6o1am said:
No wonder theres none left for anybody else when your ordering ten at a time :lola:
It will be interesting to see if quality slips if the factory is eyeballs out to meet demand .I bought large shoulder plane 12 months ago and was a bit disappointed to find razor sharp edges straight off the grinder 2 minutes with a fine stone was all it tuck,but for top money it shouldn't be nessecary ok moan over cheers john c
That's where you are mistaken. Its not top market. Next time try for instance a Sauer & Steiner.

tnimble point taken not in holed,saury Steiner.Anderson etc league .But they are low volume makers with a mix of machine and hand working very labour intensive all make beautiful planes.But if they are the top flite surely LN ,LV and Clifton are the next level,but are they worth the premium over the rest.
Or do we all fall for the marketing and brand snobbery ,after all there is no substitute for skill. cheers john c
ps As the old golf pro once said to me you cant buy the game.

John C":ur9w6fo4 said:
...But if they are the top flite surely LN ,LV and Clifton are the next level,but are they worth the premium over the rest.
Or do we all fall for the marketing and brand snobbery...
The planes of LN, LV and Clifton are very good (so are their other product). However some other companies produce cr***p products which are completely unfit for duty. In contrast to that the quality of LN, LV and Clifton tends to stick out, while their quality is actually normal. A quality that we should be expecting from the other companies, who once did had that level of quality.

You can't expect LN, LV and Clifton to have a guy (or gal) go over each and every plane to inspect it, fettle with it, hone the blade and test plane a board with it.

tnimble my plane was straight off the surface grinder the body of the had not been de burred at all . not talking about prepping plane for use. cheers john c

Back