Axminster Drill press morticing attachment?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b8el018

Reaction score
I was wondering if you can get mortising attachments for the Axminster AH1302DP Bench Pillar Drill?

I can't post links, but if you Google this your first result will be the one. " Axminster AH1302DP "

I had a morticing attachment for a drill press many years ago. I found that a drill press doesnt have enough leverage for morticing and it didnt really work, even with a 1/4" chisel in softwood.

I've only ever seen mortising attachments that fit floor standing models rather than the bench variety, doubt you'll have any luck with the model you mention but that's probably a good thing as not many people have good things to say about using these attachments (me included).

Have you considered a dedicated morticer. Good old axminster do a hobby series that looks pretty good. Certainly has the 2 way movement for very easy working.

b8el018":bzno5i3h said:
I was wondering if you can get mortising attachments for the Axminster AH1302DP Bench Pillar Drill?
The answer is in the spec: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... rill-press ": the morticing attachment is not suitable for this machine."

As others have pointed out, trying to cut mortices on small pillar drills isn't very successful. For a small project just use the drill to cut a series of holes and tidy up with a chisel, if you're going to be cutting a lot of mortices a dedicated machine is a better bet. The cheapest Axi does a pretty good job with a decent cutter fitted.

I have the Axi Hobby model. It's fast and accurate, and ideal for my occasional needs.

John

Hello,

In fact I have had better results 'doing it the other way around'. If you don't have a pillar drill, but do more woodworking than anything, a Morticer with a drill chuck attachment is a better solution all round. The drill chuck and bush is quicker to fit during changeover than fitting a mortice attachment to a drill press. The hold downs, depth stops and back fence on a Morticer are useful for some drilling tasks and if equipped with a xy table very useful, indeed. A Morticer is generally much more sturdy than hobby type drill presses and often have a greater drilling depth and bigger motors, so bigger capacities. A simple plywood table is easy to make for other drilling tasks, and can be made large enough for woodworking type drilling tasks, in long lengths of timber.The only downside is lack of speed adjustment, but in the capacities of these smaller machines, it isn't a problem an the beefier motors make up for it somewhat with a bit more torque. I used a setup like this for many years before I got my Elliott Progress floor stander, which cost less than even the flimsiest hobby bench top drill.

Some years ago I had a morticing attachment for my pillar drill. More trouble than it was worth! - the only good thing was that it convinced me to buy a dedicated mortising machine.

Woodbrains is right. I, too, have a drill chuck for the morticer - much better way round :).

I used to have a morticing attachment for the drill press, and had all the issues listed above.

E.

PS: I have one of the cheapest Axminster morticers - I really like it. The tricks are pretty simple: sandpaper glued to the workpiece clamp to stop slipping, razor sharp chisels, the correct chisel-auger clearance, and a hoover nozzle clamped right next to the mortice.

Back