Axminster chucks; Evolution SK114 vs. Clubman SK100...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodfarmer":1r7djs07 said:
I have an sk114, build is ok but the chuck bore is a loose fit on a brand new 1624 lathe spindle. It doesn't wobble just because the threads hold it tight against the end of the shoulder on the spindle. My cheap faceplates from axi fit fine.

This does not sound right. When is it a lose fit, on initial threading or when the register engages with the machined counterbore in the chuck? If the latter, do you have means of accurately measuring the two diameters?

S

SVB":2c3mm0f8 said:
woodfarmer":2c3mm0f8 said:
I have an sk114, build is ok but the chuck bore is a loose fit on a brand new 1624 lathe spindle. It doesn't wobble just because the threads hold it tight against the end of the shoulder on the spindle. My cheap faceplates from axi fit fine.

This does not sound right. When is it a lose fit, on initial threading or when the register engages with the machined counterbore in the chuck? If the latter, do you have means of accurately measuring the two diameters?

S
It is loose all the time until it is compressed against the shoulder of the spindle Unlike the counter bores on the chucks for my 90 odd year old Holbrook lathe the counter bore is a loose fit (very) the cheap faceplates fit well.

i brought a clubman sk100 second hand when it arrived is was like new and the quality was amazing.Had it a week and boom the worm screw scroll that moves the jaws in and out broke not the chuck key part the actual scroll drive.So i thought must be bad luck the other user must of damaged it and it was unknown to him or me.Anyways that said i was that impressed with the engineering 2 months back i brought a new one from axminster.So fast forward 2 months later boom exact same thing i called axminster there guy on phone said he had heard of this problem i was like REALLY W.T.F.So a long story short they are collecting it for repair.Moral of the story i will not buy another.Also the scroll part that breaks looks like it is cast iron which to me just seems plain wrong.I say its cast because the first one that broke i got it apart and it appeared to be a cast scroll drive.The new chuck has a five year guarantee and i will be using it to its fullest.I predict this problem will be ongoing and not just a one off.So axminster shame on you.

I'm surprised you've broken two to be honest. I think many chucks including the one on my metalwork lathe have a cast scroll. Clamping metal components in a SC chuck on a metal lathe puts far more stress than clamping wood but they seem to hold up fine. It may be though that the scroll is not beefy enough but I'd be surprised at this as they are basically copied from engineering chucks. I hope your repaired chuck lasts longer.

I don't fully understand why Axminster bothered with the SK114 as its only got 7mm on the radius over the SK100 hasn't it? Engineering chucks have historically come in 4", 5" and 6" etc. you can see the pattern. :wink: The world and his wife make 4" woodturning chucks I suppose as they're more than up to the task for what the majority of turners do. I can see the point of making a larger chuck for those that turn big stuff but 5" is the obvious step up isn't it? :roll:

I also wonder if the SK114 can actually apply more clamping pressure as some expect. The SK100 design means the chuck key turns directly on the scroll whereas on the SK114 design it has a pinion between the key and the scroll. Probably not much difference either way though.

The chuck holds real well and i only ever tighten one handed, personally i think if the scroll is in a certain position and you get the slightest catch on the wood this can break the casting of the scroll, they say its machined in stainless for better tolerance that being said there is still a lot of movement in the jaw holders.Also its seems they have 2 types one with grub screws holding boss on which needs returning and the other type has screws on the back.All that said there is obviously something a miss and as they said on the phone they have heard of this happening.If it happens again it will go back again again and again.

For what it's worth as well as my Axminster SK100 I also bought a Record SC4 a while back and it seems nicely made, albeit in PRC. :D

The Goliath chucks (same design pattern) I have appear to have machined scrolls, but if the SK100 has similar scroll sizing to that on the older precision 100mm chucks I have and the scrolls are indeed now cast then I could see a shear strength problem of the scroll gear, only 3 'teeth' engaged and carrying the load.

Re the comments about the metal chuck scrolls and comparing them with the Axminster standard, I noted some time ago that the axminster scroll tooth spacing is on a slightly courser scale than most metal turning chucks, this is even visible compared with the Vesa Chuck which is basically a chuck body aimed at metal lathe use.

I use predominantly axy standard (5 off +1 Versa with axy compatible carriers) as it gives me maximum versatility with my accessory jaws and have no reservations about the courser scroll for wood clamping but it does not give quite the same finesse and actuating forces that a good metal chuck does.

When first promoted I had a feeling that the little extra 14mm diam. was to allow better use of the Cole Jaws as on a 100mm chuck there is often a dead spot between standard button positions, so improving on the 100mm in that respect but cheaper in stock materials for production than the 5" goliath, maybe the aim was to also increase the number of scroll tooth engagements.

Some images of differing scroll sizing,

Axminster carriers.
Axy.jpg

Axminster Scroll on a 100mm Precision chuck.
AxyScroll.jpg

Versa Chuck Carrier.
Versa.jpg

Versa Chuck Scroll.
VersaScroll.jpg

Vicmarc carriers .(coutesy PaulJ)
Vicmarc.jpg

Sorry no Vicmarc Scroll details.

Incidentally as PaulJ recently found out, the Vicmarc Jaws should you take them out have to be engaged in his chuck body in the 2-3-4-1 order due to the no1 carrier missing a first tooth.

Attachments

• AxyScroll.jpg
    AxyScroll.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 2,697
  • Versa.jpg
    Versa.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 2,697
  • VersaScroll.jpg
    VersaScroll.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 2,697
  • Vicmarc.jpg
    Vicmarc.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 2,697
  • Axy.jpg
    Axy.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 2,697
nice info thanks clearly see the carrier difference on the axminster chuck as you stated if it only locates on 3 scrolls there will be issues or even 2 1/2 scrolls i cant say as i cant move the jaw holders jammed in place.To say i am annoyed is an understatement.

If the second-hand chuck you purchased appears otherwise in good condition I should also query why that scroll failed, if it's for the same reason, as seems to have been accepted, then I think you could argue that the manufacture of your earlier one was not fit for purpose regardless as how you acquired it.

I would always accept that a chuck will wear with use but I would not expect one to wear beyond serviceable use in my lifetime and certainly not fail in normal use.

just spoke to them again they are really not interested i checked had it 1 month so i said i want a new one i am not prepared to wait no joy at all very annoyed,i also said its a poor design and using casting on the scroll was not the best idea but to me seems like it falls on death ears.lesson learnt

Back