Axminster Basket.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerhellmaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.
Its my basket on Aximister .
Suggest what should I buy and what to change.

Router T11 240V
Router collets 12mm & 1/4"
Mitre saw AWSMS102 >> Actually dont need ; If the quality is good I buy it.
Axcaliber Mitre Lock Cutter - D=1.3/4" - X=7/8" - S=1/2"
Axcaliber Twin Flute Straight Cutter - D=1/2" - X=1.1/2" - S=1/2"
Axcaliber Staff Bead & Nosing Cutter - D=7/8" - X=1.7/32" - R=7/16" - S=1/2"
Axcaliber Staff Bead & Nosing Cutter - D=1" - X=1.11/32" - R=1/2" S=1/2"

I need dovetail cutter with bearing :
Router Cutter Bearing - D=1/2" - X=1/4"
Axcaliber Dovetail Cutter - D=12.7mm - X=21mm - K=8° - Leigh No.L80 - S=1/4"
Router Cutter Spares Pack - 1/4" Shank
Axcaliber [ur=http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axcaliber-Ovolo-Cutters-807115.html]Ovolo Cutter[/url] - D=3/4" - X=3/8" - R=1/8" - S=1/4"
Axcaliber Multi-Bead Cutter with Bearing - D=7/8" - X=1" - R=1/8" - S=1/4"
Axcaliber Bearing Guided Multi-Bead Cutter 1
Toggle Clamp Type B - Reach=15-50mm
Lambswool Pad - 75mm
Dome Polishing Mop - 100mm

I bought this
10 Piece Guide Brush Set Did someone see metric Guide Bush Set ?
Milescraft Design/Inlay Kit

tigerhellmaker":18qehlcp said:
Hi.
Its my basket on Aximister .
Suggest what should I buy and what to change.

Router T11 240V
D & M Tools in Twickenham still have the T11 on offer, including a 1/4" collet.

I decided (after fiddling about) that it was better to keep the collet in the nut, so bought a second one (for the 1/4" collet) from Miles Tools in Shepton Mallet - their spare part price being significantly cheaper than bought as an accessory: Part No: WP-T10/060.

I know opinions are sharply divided on routers, but I've been using the T11 in the router table recently, as an improvised planer. I use the 75mm tall Wealden straight 1/2" cutter and have had excellent results. As you'd expect, the spindle speed doesn't falter in the slightest when trimming hardwood full-depth.

I can recommend the Axminster router table as good value, although the top for mine is very slightly dished (it's thick MDF and thus suffers from damp). Also the hole in the plate for the T11 box spanner can be smaller than 20mm (18mm from memory, but I'd need to check) thus preserving the guide pin mounting hole. They seem to have quality issues - I had one replaced (usual excellent service from Axminster - no complaints there!), but the design is practical, and after shimming the fences I'm getting good results.

I wouldn't buy any of those router cutters. Try Wealden Tools.

Eric The Viking":j22a3d7c said:
D & M Tools in Twickenham still have the T11 on offer, including a 1/4" collet.
Its
UK-ONLY.gif
shop ?

You didn't say you wasn't located in the UK

My mistake, I correct a profile.

Axminster Professional Router Table Package looks really nice but I think about Kreg.

Shane":2jcvcuvu said:
money no object get a festool

Or the Bosch is good for table use.

Again, Wealden Tools supply very good router bits. As recommended by numerous members, inc myself.

Shane":1v5w3rnl said:
Anything apart from the T11, complete load of c**p, better off spending a little extra and getting one of these...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Maki ... 796942.htm

It may have a bad review, but I'd trust it ten times over the trend rubbish

money no object get a festool

It certainly does have a bad review on the Axminster site, which makes some specific points. If you want to call the Trend 'rubbish' you ought at least to explain why.

I understand that the early versions had problems, however I'm very pleased with mine indeed. There are aspects of the finish I don't like (the base casting, for example) but it does the job for which I bought it. In any case, it's essentially the same as the DeWalt (I'm told on good authority they come from the same factory). It's also heavy, but any 2kW unit would be, so that's not specifically a problem with the Trend/DeWalt design.

Festool products are evidently better made, and I don't doubt the quality, but there's a HUGE price difference: over double, if I remember correctly, and it's a less powerful motor [edit: I checked and was wrong: the OF2200 is slightly more powerful at 2.2kW, but it costs an eye-watering £633 from Axy at the moment]. So I can get through two T11s and still spend less.

It would have to be bloomin' amazing to make that worthwhile.

And yes I have other Makita and like it.

I have an Elu 177e, a DW625e and a Trend T11, they are all so similar, if not the same, with the exception of the fine adjuster on the T11.

Eric The Viking":21duxe8m said:
If you want to call the Trend 'rubbish' you ought at least to explain why.

Because I made the mistake of buying one, it felt awful, bad build quality, ergonomics of the handle and lock was completely wrong, and the motor hunted and kept cutting out. I bought it cos it looked similar to my old elu, even against advice given on here. I gave it back the next day and I won't buy another.

Eric The Viking":1cl14msw said:
It would have to be bloomin' amazing to make that worthwhile.

The trouble is I've been spoilt and had good use of the festool routers, and not much compares to them imo, they just feel so good and do the job so well. A lot of their gear is too over priced and I can't justify the outlay, but I want to eventually get their big router, and saw/guide rails. I suppose I see those items as essential for me, the rest of their stuff would just be a luxury

Shane":2tsoc1o6 said:
Eric The Viking":2tsoc1o6 said:
If you want to call the Trend 'rubbish' you ought at least to explain why.

Because I made the mistake of buying one, it felt awful, bad build quality, ergonomics of the handle and lock was completely wrong, and the motor hunted and kept cutting out. I bought it cos it looked similar to my old elu, even against advice given on here. I gave it back the next day and I won't buy another.

possible you just got a bad un - it is virtually identical to the elu and the dw625e - i only use ours in the table but its the dogs danglies plenty of power and the above table hieght adjustment is very useful.

I too have the T11 - in a table and a festool OF1400 I think - use as handheld. Clearly the festool is much nicer, better finish etc etc but at a price premium. I was lucky to buy the festool second hand off here and very happy with it. But the T11 does just fine in a table, and I really am not sure I would put £600 in a static table. But thats only my opinion but I do think the amount of table v hand held work is important in the decision.

Deffo agree on that, no way would I keep a £600 router in a table. Had the motor not played up on my T11 I would have kept it for that. I ended up going for the Hitachi which has been great so far, and that will end up in my table once I get a festo

Shane":3pap8usv said:
Deffo agree on that, no way would I keep a £600 router in a table. Had the motor not played up on my T11 I would have kept it for that. I ended up going for the Hitachi which has been great so far, and that will end up in my table once I get a festo

I understand better now.

Obviously I can't speak to Trend's quality either way -- my own experience is just too small a sample -- but I get the feeling the T10/11 had quality problems when introduced, which have been addressed more recently. I've certainly found no obvious issues with mine so far.

It does feel a bit 'budget router on a big scale', but so far it's working well. Even that has some advantages though: the fence takes both the fat and thin bars (I suspect it's the one supplied with the T5 too), and the smaller holes fit the bars for my other two routers. So I've effectively got a micro fence for both of them for free. Since I can only use one router at a time, and as the T11 mainly lives in the table, that's a big plus.

As an aside, I found that by removing the depth stop fine adjustment screw -- the big wide pad on the bottom of the slide, intended for plunge depth setting -- The collet will rise to above the table surface (about 1 or 2mm).

Thus I can easily get a spanner onto the collet from above the table top. This is dead useful, as is the fact that a collet extension isn't necessary, so far, at least. I'm very unwilling to go down that road, as it strikes me as a dangerous idea and (potentially) an easy way to knacker the bearings in prolonged use. You're relying on two collets' concentricity and gripping power, giving twice the risk and twice the error.

I'm wondering about adding a lever to the bottom of the router plate, to make it easier to press the spindle lock button, but that's the only nuisance part at the moment.

Eric The Viking":11vakgsl said:
but I get the feeling the T10/11 had quality problems when introduced, which have been addressed more recently.

I bought mine in december last year

I could have exchanged it and I'm sure it would have been fine (maybe), but it was the first new tool that I've ever bought that didn't work as it should out of the box, so I wasn't prepared to take the risk

I'm very happy with the T11, especially the fine height adjust which is great in my home-made router table. The side fence is a bit rubbish though, though less so than the one-point fixing no fine adjustment on the old Elu MOF98. The Trend T4 is awful, though.

I line in France and just bought from D&M Tools - had to arrange a bank draft and get the thing picked up by a courier, but even with that, the deal was better than anywhere else. I think their missing a market with that UK only pineapples. Axminster will ship me a parcel for £12

Latest posts

Back