Axminster bandsaw blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
Are they any good?

I used to buy duredge but apparently they are no longer around?

thanks

Mike

mikepooley":a74tymoh said:
Did this happen recently? As you have used them before, I assume that you have tried to phone them to confirm this?

For those of you that don't know Duredge have never had any WEB presence, apart from the good comments about their band saw blades on this forum. :roll:

The other supplier that gets good comments on here (I have used them) is Dragon Saws, they advertise on Ebay and there is a member on the forum who works for them. IIRC Workshop Heaven now stock their blades.

I have never used the Axminster blades but I think some members have, may be they would like to comment on them?

I used Axminster's blades almost exclusively until about a year or so ago. They are OK for the money, but I found the quality a bit hit and miss sometimes. For example, I had 2 identical (supposedly) 5/8" x 4tpi blades for ripping on my old BS (EB 315), one tensioned and ran beautifully while the other seemed to be made of much "stiffer" steel and just wouldn't tension properly, it also wasn't quite straight at the weld which caused it to oscillate quite badly from front ot back. I should stress that problem blades were the exception rather than the rule and for the most part they were perfectly acceptable for the money.

However, I have now discovered Dragon blades and don't foresee buying Axminster's offerings anytime soon. Dave's right, Mathew at Workshop Heaven has just started selling Dragon's excellent M42 blades, but doesn't seem to be listing the smaller sizes yet (or any standard non M42 blades), it is a very new development though so they may be en-route so to speak.

mikepooley":20fi2euu said:
Are they any good?

thanks

Mike

I've used Axminster blades for years and found them great but I don't use the standard ones from the 'book of words' or website, where the blank is 25 thou I believe, which is too much for my Euro 260. If you order them by 'phone and ask for the blades to be made from 14 thou steel, they're much better. Cost is a few pence more as a 'special' but well worth it - Rob

I have used blades from Dragon Saws and Trucut with good results but my favourites at the moment are the very thin (0.02") Meat & Fish types (as recommended by David C) from Sharpquips.
Had great results re sawing and cutting tenons etc. with them.

Rod

I use the Axy blades - they work fine for me.
Although I am very tempted by the amazing results Rod is getting with his S/S blades.
Philly :D

mikepooley":1dh4o30a said:

I used to use Duredge, but they closed at the end of last year.

I now use Bandsaw Services (01753 862029) at Windsor - very consistent, and a reasonable price. I have a Basato 5/2.

HTH

Harbo":3sg359wy said:
I have used blades from Dragon Saws and Trucut with good results but my favourites at the moment are the very thin (0.02") Meat & Fish types (as recommended by David C) from Sharpquips.
Had great results re sawing and cutting tenons etc. with them.

Rod

I've just taken a look at the Sharpquips website, and the prices look very tight - how many TPI are the 1/2" blades?

They sell 4TPI and 6TPI (1/2" & 5/8") - I bought the 4 as David C used some 3 in his article.
They cut very finely and with great accuracy - great for cutting dovetails, tenons etc.
I posted a picture a while ago showing some veneer I had cut - I gave Philly the piece at West Dean.

When I bought my blades their web ordering service was down so ordered over the phone - they delivered very quickly and at £9.90 a blade good value. The blades are made by Hakansson.

Rod

Many thanks for that - I quite often have to make my own limited amount of veneer, so I will give them a punt!

I will do a bit of searching for the various articles - just wish I had found this site a while ago :) .

Edit: Found your original article from May 21 - very impressed, particularly with 4 teeth :D .

Latest posts

Back