Axminster 400mm cole jaws on AT1628VS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogmonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering either buying or making some cole jaws. Today I mostly use a vacuum chuck or very occasionally a doughnut chuck. On the outgoing lathe I had very limited clearance over the bed and issues using the bango over the bed (complicated so wont bore you) so rarely used tailstock support. I will continue with the vacuum chuck as I often do natural edge and it works really well but was also considering either making or buying some cole jaws.

To this end I have a couple of questions:

1) Will the new evolution chuck provide enough travel so there are no 'dead spots' on the Axminster cole jaws like I believe there are with the SK100 Clubman chuck?
2) Will they fit over the bed (technically I think they will) and allow enough clearance for adjustment? I fully expect I will need to either remove the chuck to insert the jaws or swivel headstock away from bed. I ask this because Ideally I want to use the tailstock for additional support. Based on the stated specs I suspect not. The swing is 4006mm which only leaves 6mm, not enough for adjustment :( Just wanted confirmation?

I think this leaves me with the option of the 150mm wood jaw plates, some ply and some buttons - although I hope to find some cheaper buttons than the Axminster ones.....

BM

The One Way buttons are cheaper.
Oneway 2200 Replacement button set for Jumbo jaws Ref : 2200 £24.13 incl.vat. I use them on 250 mm axi cole jaws.
I suspect one of the reasons for making the new chuck 114mm diam. was to give the additional travel to reduce the limitations of the Cole jaws seen on a 100 mm chuck. (the reason I like the old 125mm Goliath chuck so much)

You can always use the smaller Cole Jaws as carriers for additional wooden or metal extensions if necessary.

The alternate source buttons can be seen in this PDF.

Latest posts

Back