Axi Dovetail Jig setup.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lardman

Established Member
Reaction score
I know most of you don't approve but I've bought the DTJ. Im just having a little problem getting it setup correctly.

What Im getting is an decent dovetail but it seem to be offset so the drawer front and side are at a slightly high, this seem to be exaggerated the wider the timber. 4inch not so bad 8inch major problem.

Im guessing something isn't square (timber edge or jig)? or is the initial "middle of pin" layout slightly off. I can't seem to get my head round it.

Don't worry, I fully approve of jig cut dovetails! I don't do anything by hand if there is a sensible jigged and or powered way to do it!

Sounds like the offset between the top end stops and the front ones is not set to exactly 1/2". However not sure why this would give your a different offset according to the width of the workpiece?

Years ago I borrowed one of these jigs and the angle between the top and front was not 90 degrees - so it might be worth checking that is not happening with yours. In the end I saved up and bought a secondhand Leigh so the Axi one is a bit hazy in memory now

Of course, if you timber is not perfectly square and each piece is of equal width then you will have problems. You are fitting joints together that have all been cut on the same side of the jig?

hth

Bob

Ive had a different square out to check the 90s, so assuming the square is square. The jig seems fine but the timber was fractionally off - perhaps 1mm over the 8 inches.

Checking my test cut, what seems to be happening is 1 side of the drawer is 1-2mm lower than the front, when I rotate the front the other cut is 1-2mm higher than the front.

Im thinking this means you're right about the offset ?

Yes Lardman, that is definitely down to the offset blocks. I gave up using those jigs and went for the Rutlands Dakota jig for my dovetailing and never looked back. (Sorry) :wink:

mmmarrggghhhh

So frustrating - I tried a few more times, always +/- 1-2 mm. Tomorrow I think I'll have to make a jig up from MDF to set the DT jig on both the left and right side so I won't get twice the error when I rotate the front. Might even remove the 2 plastic stop and replace them with an L shaped bit of MDF fixed at 1/2 an inch offset.

Back