Axcaliber Dovetail Jig 300mm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonJohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've received a link: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-do ... ent=header

which is for a reduced price offer on the Axcaliber Dovetail Jig.

The accompanying video shows the jig being used to produce an excellent joint quickly and easily, but does NOT - of course - mention anything about the setting up process.

Has anyone used this jig who could provide some comments, please ? - there are no Reviews on the Axminster site yet.

Reviews of the cutter mention problems with the guide bearing not remaining locked in position, which would seem to be a major problem in achieving the 'fit' of joints.

I would not be making lots of dovetail joints, but I would like to try, and have a system which is inexpensive but does actually produce good results, so any advice would be appreciated.

Don

I have a similar one to this one. They do produce a fairly good joint but - They also produce a lot of noise and a load of dust.

I cut my last dovetails by hand and surprised myself how much better my last ones were to the first, so I have come to the conclusion that, as everyone is always saying, practice makes perfect. (Well not exactly perfect but very passable)

The jig does take a bit of setting up to get the spacing right but it is quite simple.

My handcut dovetails whilst not perfect were very satisfying to complete and I know now I will get better the more I do so for me, as a hobbyist and time not being money, I will stick to hand-cutting.

Mick

Yes they are a pain in the bum to set up! I still have one as a door wedge in my old shop. :roll: Personally I use the Dakota jig which is just an ally plate with a couple of cutters included. You have to make your own plate to mount it on but that part is easy. I can set it up and produce perfect dovetails in minutes with it compared to over half an hour with the mentioned jig. It won't make half blind dovetails but that is no problem for me. HTH. :wink:

mailee":1d4004qs said:
Yes they are a pain in the bum to set up! I still have one as a door wedge in my old shop. :roll: Personally I use the Dakota jig which is just an ally plate with a couple of cutters included. You have to make your own plate to mount it on but that part is easy. I can set it up and produce perfect dovetails in minutes with it compared to over half an hour with the mentioned jig. It won't make half blind dovetails but that is no problem for me. HTH. :wink:

Does that Dakota jig let you change the size of the dovetails or are they fixed?

Pure rubbish, mine lasted about an hr before the cams no longer gripped. That was about 8 years ago.
I now use a brookmans dovetailer.

Back