AWGB seminar - How much?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd heard the 2009 seminar was pretty good, and fancied going this year.

With that in mind i went ont the AWGB site, only to find it is £225 a ticket (not including dinner or accomodation)! :shock:
I know it's 3 days, and there are 10 demonstrators, but £225?! You can go on a weeks holiday abroad for that! Especially if you factor in hotel prices for student digs and extra for meals.
I guess it must work for them, but it's plenty enough to ensure i'll not be there.
Too many better things to spend my cash on....

Ryan- having been to 2 previous seminars I can tell you that its brillant value for money- there are lots of demo's going on all day and you have to choose who you see.

I too have been and thought it was excellent. I think there are probably about 120 ish delegates so at that ticket price I can't see it being OTT as these events are expensive to arrange.

Not sure if you are an AWGB member or your personal cirumstances but if not yourself, others may be interested in a bursery scheme the AWGB run that can help with the cost that can be applied for.

I could afford it i suppose, and i'm sure they're not raking it in, but it just seems a lot for 3 days without the extras.
I've been to free shows where you can see 2 or 3 demos from pros of a similar quality.
A top pro at a club might cost you a tenner for an evening demo or maybe £30 for a day.
You can get half decent 1:1 tuition for £75 a day!

I've been to similar conventions for other hobbies i have, and an expensive one might be £30 a day.

I suppose i'm grumbling a bit, but if it works then fine. :)
It just makes me consider whether it's really worth attending as opposed to other purchases or activities that spending money could go on....

I do know where you are coming from Oakbear. I think one of the differeniating factors is that a significant number of the demonstrators are drawn from around the world that you cannot normally see on the club circuit and also there are 4 or 5 demos going on in parallel giving the delegate a choice where are most (all?) clubs will one host one demonstrator for a given event.

Add on to that the gallery that I found a rich seam of ideas (that needs space paid for) and also the other areas and it is not such a bad deal however, nothing reduces the total figure which I grant you will buy you a chuck and a decent hollowing tool that will last forever!

BRgds
S

simon also forgot to add that they have air conditioned demo rooms which in most case's also have tier'd seating plus the brillant deals that allot of the trade stands offer

I am still somewhat tempted, so we'll see. £50 or £60 for a day pass with no lunch and i'd be there for sure.
It's actually the gallery i'd most like to see, to see so many high quality and renowned works in the flesh.

I don't think the AWGB's shoddy advertising helps! No real details yet except price and a couple of demonstrators (most uk), and they stay there'll only be 10 demonstrators...

Oakbear. Thing is they fill these dos (as far as I am aware) so the price does not limit attendance as far as the AWGB is concerned. Presumably they couldnt accommodate everyone if it was cheaper.

Back