attic wadrobes carcasses - how to make angled cuts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fobos8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm building some melamine faced carcases for my attic bedroom. I'm not sure how to make some of the angled cuts.

When I build rectangular carcases my procedure is this;

(1) rip panel 6mm wider than need - this always results in chipped cuts
(2) trim edge of panels with router cutter to give clean cuts
(3) iron on edge banding and trim with laminate trimmer
(4) cross cut top and bottom panels oversize and then trim with router - always cut through banding from the front so as to get a clean cut through the banding
(5) cross cut side panels cutting through the front of the egde banding

What is the best way to go about making the angled cuts for the carcass shown?

For the angled cut on the left hand side panel I can cut through the front of it with my circular saw after its been edgebanded - the angle is about 37 degrees.

For the angled cut on the right hand side panel I cannot cut through the front of the banding as the angle is not allowed on the saw.

As for the top panel? Clearly I cannot use a router to clean up chipped circular saw cuts can I?

How do I make the anlged cuts? Do I cut first and then edge?

Any helpfull advice and tips happily recieved :D

Cheers, Andrew

For the cuts i would use the circular saw.
1st make sure the blade is sharp - don't use one that has cut loads of timbers/ man made materials. Get a new one if necessary.

2nd Both sets of cuts can be done with the saw, you just need to turn the panel over/ come from the other direction.

3rd Either use tape or a thin sacrificial board on the upper cut to stop/ reduce chip out. :)

okay - thanks for the tips

is it worth applying the edge banding after cross cutting?

fobos8":2gr5fqx8 said:
okay - thanks for the tips

is it worth applying the edge banding after cross cutting?
Yeah i would do all the cuts then apply the banding. That way you you are set up to do one job at a time. Rather than set up, cut. Set up edging. Back to cutting etc.

Do the cutting, clean up ( one set of mess ;) ) Then edging :)

Back