Attaching workbench top?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've built the base for my new workbench and will laminate the top together today (2 25mm mdf sheets) but I can't decide the best way to attach it to the base....

Coach bolts or big screws through the top
metal brackets underneath
pocket screws

I would like the top to be quite easily removable though

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mark

I'd go for coach screws through the frame from the underside. If you've got 50mm of mdf to screw into you could afford to go 40mm in by arranging suitably sized counterbored holes on the underside of the frames - Rob

For my MDF topped bench I just used big woodscrews down into the frame from the top. Then I skinned the MDF top with oil tempered hardboard, as a kind of sacrificial top surface. That covered the screw heads, and gives you a really tough working surface which can be replaced easily and cheaply when it gets damaged over time. Use a "light" adhesive to attach, like spraymount.....mine was locked in place with a hardwood border.

Cheers
Graeme

GraemeD":g15qrzlf said:
...oil tempered hardboard, as a kind of sacrificial top surface.
I agree about the oil tempered hardboard, tough as old boots and in my view a much underrated material. Far superior to the nasty, interior grade 'fluffy' stuff - Rob

Hi,

Just don't attach the top to the base ;) and try to find out a satisfying way of locking your laminate top onto that base. Such arrangement may be useful when you want to raise or remove the worktop as instance. Take a look at the three bottom photos of that document.

Best Regards

Hi thanks for the ideas

I was thinking about covering the top with hardboard - I'll have to find a local supplier of the oil-tempered stuff if it's better.

I've got some metal brackets somewhere here so I think I'll attach the top with those for now. The workbench is really just a quick fix anyway as I've got a few more little jobs to do around the house we've been renovating before I can start making some proper things!!

Thanks, Mark

I used damaged kitchen worktops for my benches. The places that sell the worktops normally sell them even cheaper than MDF. I screwed mine down from the top and they came apart easily for the move over here to France. The removals blokes weren't too happy though :roll: :roll:

If you are anywhere near Stroud, Gloucestershire then Severn Ply in Stonehouse is a VERY good place to try. Brilliant for all sheet materials too.

Back