At Last warm weather

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbler

Established Member
Reaction score
While its cold and even snowing in the UK we have been suffering a spring I'd rather forget, with days colder than winter and wetter than in the past 5 years all together. I finally got to finish some turnings for the Christmas season some of which I needed a set of Cole jaws for ok most of them.

Yes there are other ways to do them but :roll:

I am a member of the Ornamental Turners Australia Group and have had a play with a fellow members machine during the year this is Western Red Cedar with whats called Sunburst pattern done on a home made Rose Engine

A gift for a supply of motor a Camphor bowl the blank had a big crack evident prior turning I filled it with Resin after sealing outlets and it held together very well aprox 9"dia. Its was well received.

IMG_2139.jpg

I had scored a bit of Ficus root very course grained wood

made a single flower vase with a vile insert finished with a coat of auto paint then sanded back and friction polished

The other stood out with its grain and dictated its shape.

IMG_2797.jpg

A simple pot-pori bowl have yet to make the scroll saw lid

IMG_2801.jpg

Thirsty anyone this would easily hold a litre of fluid has a plastic insert Camphor and a WOP finish

IMG_2794.jpg

A lidded box with Peppermint Gum finial

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

This was a present for a friend who has gone out of his way to post timber to me from QLD twice, have his daughter pick up a new MicroPlane from a tool store in the UK when there on holidays.

Hobbler,

There seems to be something odd about your pictures, they don't display for me in Firefox or IE :(
On looking at the files, they have a .jpg extension but in fact contain a .gif picture which is confusing the forum software, not sure how this has happen or if there is a quick solution. :-k

Hello Hobbler,
Like Dave they did not display to me either.
Going back to your comments about your spring to forget, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you were suffering water shortages and even drought in NSW.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

John. B

Nor Opera :cry: :cry: If I right click, copy the image address and psot in the address bar I can see them but have to do it for each one.

Pete

Vulthoom":xf0ul7id said:
If you right click and "View Image" in Firefox the individual pictures will display.
Can only see the last two images, all others get a `Not Found` ??
Steve
Ps Firefox 3.0.5

:eek: :shock: :roll:

Gents thanks I am glad I came back to check on the thread normaly I dont for a month or so.

Sorry for the photo's stuff up, also couldn't log in APIA

Thanks to Lord Nibbo for contacting Charlie for me so he could give me a new PW.

Now onto fixing the photo's

Merry Christmas to all

Ray

Hi,
I've been given a slab of camphor laurel and have used a scroll saw to make a - trivet - timber placemat - call it what ever. My first time with this timber:-
1. Will the scent of camphor remain - I have numerous opens (it's fretwork style) and presently it smells good. Would like to retain the smell if possible.
2. What is the best finish? Does it need a finish? The slab is now 19mm thick and any finish will need to go down into the sides of the openings which will be near impossible to buff or polish. I was thinking of Organoil Danish Oil which is easy to apply but it does have it's own smell (citrus) which eventually goes away after time.

Posting this as I noticed that you had some camphor platters (which I couldn't view - but you know about that).
Thanks,
Bob H.

:evil: damn photo's I fixed that so I thought.

All photo's can be seen on the blog site below my apologies.

Bob camphor is great to work with well some of the time like all woods has its problems

The scent can last a while when I do a bowl etc I leave the tenon area free from finish to allow scent to permeate.

I found to enhance it a little eucalyptus in the friction polish helps if wood is dry or a camphor oil

Each of the turnings I have done of late have different finishes even the WOP still has oil seeping to scent the air.

The finish choice is really yours as I have found some I know have used Mirrortone for wood slapped on with a brush then sanded when dry and then waxed. This I did to a bowl recently myself and it works a treat.

Back