At Last its done

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corset

Established Member
Reaction score
I have finished mt Tv Cabinet. Its made from Pippin Oak walnut for the frame and doors and some veneered oak for the shelving and back panel.

My original plan was to do some work in progress shots but in the time it has taken me to make it the technology has moved from wooden box cameras to digital.
I had to take the photos quickly at home as i promised the wife it would be done before she got back from her holiday, it was v heavy to move on my own. :D so apologies for the quality.
I would like to thank everybody on the forum whos ideas i have borrowed and information that has allowed me to complete the piece as it was a lot more difficult than i thought. Every little hurdle had a solution on this site.

This is the first photo, with the unit top off, The sides are loose panel and frame. The legs were rough cut with a bandsaw and spokeshaved to final curve, lots of fun getting them all the same. All the rails have the same gentle curve to them to break up the shape.
DSC01541.jpg

Internally There are two oak veneer shelves lipped with walnut. The drawer is on a blum soft motion closures and is fixed onto a plywood sub frame. The front is planted and trimmed with oak. The handle pull is a brusso round pull really beautiful piece of hardware.
DSC01551.jpg

Side Panel Detail,this was one of my targets was to learn how to undertake frame and panel. I made a few measurement errors and made all the tenons to big to allow for mistakes, unfortunely this meant a lot of time with a shoulder plane, however i did learn alot about the tool. In fact most of my mistakes were with power tools and corrected by hand.
DSC01544.jpg

The doors are solid wood with walnut trim and have three soss hingy things in the middle. They are hung on knife hinges which wern't too difficult to fit i slipped with the router and the left door has a slight gulwing action when it opens (wife says i am being anal worring about the half centimeter swing) I have allowed for movement but i suspect people will be pointing out to me that i have done something wrong. This is the area that worried me the most, I had to remember to put the trim on only one of the overlapping doors do the design looked balanced. May i also say i hate making handles i must have made 8 before i settled on this design, these were screwed on and then plugged in walnut
DSC01550.jpg

Back of cabinet, not much to say really, in oak veneer with walnut trim
DSC01546.jpg

The top was great fun, i really enjoyed planing the top down as it was too big to thickness, i must admit to sanding it smooth,there are some small checks on the ends but i could not afford any more wood so i am hoping they will be ok. The top was shaped to be gently curved on three of the four sides to soften the shape and i used an mdf templated i made with a router bit to trim. I then bevelted the edges to 15degrees to match the legs. The sheen off the table top is lovely. The top was attached with expansion plates to allow for movement.
DSC01547.jpg

The finish was rustins/liberon (can't remember) finishing oil and wax.
I am mostly happy with it and have learnt alot, midway through i thought i was never going to finish and i thought i had taken on too much but its done now.
The wife loves it and has rearranged the lounge to make it a focal piece,so i guess that is a result.
I think my best lesson is its a lot easier to seethe mistake coming with handtools.
Owen
All comments welcome

Wow! that looks really nice. I love the contrasting colours of the oak and walnut. I also like the proportions and the attention to detail. Your wife is right to love it and I hope you are proud of it too - well done!

Steve

Nice piece Owen, just love the Walnut but not too sure about the pippin Oak, but thats just personal choice, what a shame that the lovely drawer is hidden by the doors, lovely craftmanship.

Martin

This is a good looking cabinet...well done =D> The colour contrast of timbers is interesting, I think I would have used just one main timber, possibly the oak and kept the walnut (American Black?) for detailing. I also find the taper or curve, on the legs a bit tricky on the eyes. By that I mean the taper goes from wide at the top to narrow at the base on an external surface. Agree about handles. I think they are one of the hardest parts of a project IMO to get right as when the piece is used the handle is inevitably the first thing that is usually touched and that the eye is drawn to. If all else fails simple is always better than complicated :wink: Excellent job - Rob

Funny how things always take longer than expected. Illustrated by the antique housed under the dvd player. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only joking Corset, nice work there.

What a lovely piece of work. One worry (sorry to put a downer on things) is adequate ventilation.

It all looks so beautifully put together that I don't reckon much air can move through it to cool the video and dvd? Or am I wrong :?

I did worry about the ventilation and have got some very substantial cable holes, However i am monitoring it in case i need to drill some more. The back panel will easily come out. Its a good point though
Owen

Fine Woodworking had a good article on ventilation for AV cabinets.

One solution is to leave them open backed or open fronted but you can drill holes in the base and the back (quite high up at the back) and it creates a chimney effect pulling in cooler at at the bottom and getting rid of the hot air at the top.
Lovely job though

Latest posts

Back