Assistance needed with bathroom conundrum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My familiar story ended with getting behind the bath, slackening the large plastic nut holding the waste/overflow, cutting through the whole thing (so the inside and outside parts were no longer joined), and then replacing the entire overflow, waste control and waste (which is why I was trying to get the knob off in the first place). Once the old one was out I could the grub screw was so corroded I never stood a chance.

First thanks to all for your ideas and tales of woe.

The key to my problem was first a thorough clean. That was quite difficult and took a couple of days off and on.

I bought a head light ( headband with an LED on the front. That showed up a 20mm or so deep recess with a 2.5mm screw head at the very end. Bought some precision screwdrivers and had at it. The problem was the hole was at the bottom of the fitting and had to be turned through 140 degrees to get at it. When you let go it sprang back to its original position.

Took me a day to get the screwdriver in the slot and then to inch it undone.

The rest of the job took 20 minutes. Tighten the fitting, fix the hard pads to the face of the bath and refix the screw buried in the handle.

Total job time 28 hrs. Unbelievable. Thank god it was stretched over 2 weeks.

Al

:) Thanks. Good to know how it turned out and that you were not beaten by it (hammer) and called someone in.

cammy9r,
I wish I had called someone in as this took so long to complete. My mates in the trade though had no new ideas so it was all DIY...all 28 hrs.

Latest posts

Back