Assault!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the greatest criminal since Jack the Ripper has finally been apprehended so we can all sleep easy to night.
My 13 yr old grandson has been suspended from school, accused of assault by the art teacher, for flipping an elastic band at a friend!
I must have a word with him about the finer points, as he missed!

Roy.

johnny.t.":15oi6dro said:
Unbelievable :roll: . What the hell would they do if kids had a scrap :?:

JT

one would be called a bully and the other a victim, thats a denial of human rights to each. :)

When I was 7yrs old I chucked a board rubber (the wooden one) at my childhood sweetheart. Had to stand in the corner. Guess if I did it today, I'd be arrested. Such is life.

When I was a lad at school in Australia, one teacher threw a wooden blackboard duster at a kid who was swinging on his chair at the back of the class. It hit him, and whether that was what knocked him unconcious, or whether it was falling off the chair that did it we'll never know.

Another kid was hit by a confiscated tennis ball thrown by a teacher to get him to pay attention........it hit him on the ear and burst his ear drum. He never heard properly again.....

Those good old days weren't good for everybody.....

Mike

I read sometime ago that teachers were angry that something like 60 per of suspensions were overruled and the child returned to class, which on the face of it seemed to infer that teachers were being ignored, but if this is a typical event one can understand why they are overruled I think.

Roy.

Now Digit that really has stirred the memory cells.

In the early 1950s when I was at school, our classroom was used as the sewing room when the girls had their sewing classes and the boys went off to the woodwork class.

We used to get the girls to leave us some Knob pins under the inkwells in the desks.

We would then bend these over and shoot them across the class usings a rubber band (idiotic I know).

We used to sit in the classroom in 4 rows with the most disruptive lads in the front of row 4 right in front of the teachers desk.

One day someone shot a pin at the lad sitting right in front of the teacher and it stuck in the back of his neck. (not saying who it was)

The lad jumped to his feet shouting, and the teacher thinking he was being very disruptive picked up the 3 foot board ruler and began lamping him with it and telling him to sit down.

Eventually the lad was able to tell the teacher what had happened and she sent for the headmaster.

The headmaster asked who had fired the shot but there were no takers,
so all of the boys were called out one at a time and made to empty their pockets

He found no pins but as one lad was returning to his desk he muttered something and the headmaster grabbed him by the lapel of his jacket and yelled out because he had found where we kept our arsenal.

We were all called to the front of the class and told to turn our collars up and every lad who had any pins was sent to his office where we all had six of the best and our names entered in the Black Book.

As I am writing this I am smiling thinking about the lad jumping up and the teacher lamping him with the board ruler but I also find myself clenching my fingers thinking about those six strokes we had.

Obviously in later life you realise what a stupid thing it was to be doing but at the time it seemed to be a laugh.

Alan. :shock: :oops: :oops: :D :D :D :D

I remember one History lesson where one of the kids was happily chatting at the back of the class as he usually did. Upon hearing this the teacher grabbed the nearest thing and threw it at him......Problem was it was an old deactivated Mills bomb! (handgrenade to the un initiated) Luckily the teacher missed and it made quite a mess of the cork board at the back of our classroom. After picking himself up from the floor where he had fallen the pupil never uttered another word for the rest of the lesson!.......and neither did we. :shock:

"Old School" on this one ....
this country has got horrendous problems with its youth now... undeniable.

This is without question due in no small part to the fact that whilst in the educational establishments, those who once held the positions of authority are now completely toothless, and the little 'erberts know it.

Mate of mine from Dundee is in the process of losing his teaching job because some little clown refused to move out of a chair in a computer suite, - my mate gently lifted him ( as in 'very gently aided him to get up' ), and the kid then sprang to life shouting 'Ill have you for assault'... Police involved etc etc ... Mate duly suspended.

Mate now gets his tyres slashed weekly, his wife who has MS and is confined to a wheelchair cannot out the house after shcool hours, cause this kid and his pals STONE her .. she has been hospitalised because of it and the injuries sustained on two occasions that I know about.. possibly more. ( :shock: ),
Has had every window in the frontage of his house broken at least once, some of them twice , car "keyed" , and when he's tried to have the cops involved at His request.. he's told that because of the pending action on the trumped up 'assault' thing.. they have to 'protect the child' from him.
What ??????

There's no shortage of 'volunteers' to 'have a quiet word with the errant child', if you get my drift... but my pal won't sanction it. ( perhaps to his credit, I don't know ).

Yes, we've done wonderfully since removing discipline from schools.
:?

Some may throw hands in horror at this... but its borne out by history...
Authority over something is based on one thing when it comes down to it... the installation of fear, albeit in a very controlled manner.
No different from training a dog ... the dog does as its told out of 'Fear' -- ( you can dress it up as 'respect for', but its Fear.. ) of the owner. Now the owner may have only had to wallop a rolled up newspaper onto a suitable surface near that dog... but thats enough to have instilled into it.. Oh I best ''respect'' him, as I didn't like that big bang" ... and that is FEAR. and Mr Dog does as he's told. And it worked like that pretty well for many many years with Kids or anything else that needed to be taught to tow a line as part of its education.
Look at your 'employed situation'.... why do you do as your told ? ..
one of the basic reasons is that you don't want to "lose your job".. i.e. you are 'frightened' that you'll lose your job... Fear. And it works - very effectively.
Thats been removed from our schools by todays woolyhatted treehugger society, and we're reaping the fruit of our own seeds.
Its pretty basic psychology when it comes down to it.

We 'reward' problem kids nowadays... My missus sees it in the school she works in every day... Problem Kid-Sent to headteacher - sent out to play with remote controllled car. :shock: Wow thats a good way of stopping him being a problem kid tomorrow.
Or .. a great way of ensuring todays good kid is a problem tomorrow.

Stabbings / Shootings / etc etc... we've got to take responsibility, because we allowed the degeneration of our society, and didn't have the basic foresight to see it coming.
Sad.
And way way too late to ever get it reversed.

Suffice to say... big fan of discipline being administered in schools and very saddend by its demise.

School days........arrggh, not too fond memories for me. A rough grammer school in, Birmingham.

If I came across my old games master now I would punch him on the nose. In fact I wouldn't mind going to find him now just to have a fight. He was a turnip. :twisted:

He must be sixty + now. I pity him. He was just so unkind to me. When I think about it, it makes me very angry. I was not that athletic, more academic and an easy target as a result. (I was only 13/14 yrs old) :cry:

I can't quite remember his name, Mitchell I think. turnip.

T.

Lets go round fellas and duff him up. God that would be good - settle some old scores.

Apart from some initial bulying when I first started school my experience was a happy one. Dedicated teachers, discipline, yes, but fair. All kids should have the sort of time I had.

Roy.

Digit":2lzkc8qq said:
Apart from some initial bulying when I first started school my experience was a happy one. Dedicated teachers, discipline, yes, but fair. All kids should have the sort of time I had.

Roy.

Happy? my sister was caught playing cats cradle in geography, the teacher got a ball of wool and wound it all around her, then picked her up and stood her in the wicker waste paper basket for the rest of the lesson.

Rich.

Was at secondary school 76 to 81,local comprehensive,about 1,300 pupils.
We still had respect for teachers - there was a line,and you knew if you crossed it.
Yes,there was one instance when a P.E. teacher heard someone swear,and we all had to line up on the playground,in the freezing cold,without moving,until someone admitted to it - which,as all such instances,was dealt with by a good whack ; we actually had graduated levels of corporal punishment in P.E.,all called Charley - Charley 1 was a plimsoll,Charley 2 was a table tennis bat WITH the rubber on,Charley 3 was the same WITHOUT the rubber on,can't remember Charley 4,but Charley 5 was a baseball bat - needless to say,NOBODY was ever that badly behaved,in fact,reaching the Charley 2 stage was unusual :lol:
But generally,school was okay - I only got punished because I deserved it :wink:

I agree with Roy
my experience was a happy one. Dedicated teachers, discipline, yes, but fair.

This is where it goes wrong now - no discipline :evil:

Andrew

When I temped one Christmas in a Royal Mail sorting Office, it was instant dismissal if you were caught flicking elastic bands. Apparently a worker lost an eye through getting hit by one.

Phil

I have a mate with a glass eye.

He lost his real eye when someone flicked an elastic band at him when he was at junior school.

andycktm":1cmh80ki said:
Today it's autism,years ago it was Brat!
Maybe this is because we have a better understanding of the mind of a child now than we did? :roll:
I'd far rather my son was identified as mildly autistic by a school that cares and brings in extra help and support for him than just be called a brat and left to fail his education.
I'm very glad he's at the school he is at.

My maths teacher didn't allow paper planes as a friend had lost an when hit by one.

I agree we've gone too far on the punishment side - teachers aren't allowed to touch pupils unless the pupil is in danger or putting others in danger. I'd happily sign a piece of paper to say the school can smack him if necessary.

Back