Ashley Isles split ferrules

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mister S":1p9u7nqi said:
The force exerted when wood expands due to moisture must be pretty big. The guy who laid my riven stone flags in the garden said he had watched a programme about how they (used to) split the flags. Drill holes along a line where you want the stone to split, drive in wooden pegs that have been dried to reduce the moisture content, then just pour water on them so they swell up.

Split the stone every time.

And if it can do that, my ferrules with dots have no chance... :)
According to something on TV, that's also how they split the blocks to make the pyramids.

A happy ending - I like happy endings. :D

P1100072_edited-1.jpg

The chisels arrived back in about a week along with a nice letter from Barry Isles. He apologised for the inconvenience and explained why the ferrules sometines crack - which is pretty much what Matthew said above. They no longer put dots on during manufacture.

He has replaced my old ferrules with annealed brass ones which he says never crack. These can't be used during the normal manufacturing process as they won't go through the ferruling machine.

A great piece of customer service which I'm more than happy with.

Steve

Attachments

• P1100072_edited-1.jpg
    P1100072_edited-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 580
These things happen from time to time on any product. It is good to see that the temptation to strip the costs to the bone, in a continual race to the bottom has been resisted, and that the couple of quid for each set of chisels sold that contributes to cost of customer service has been maintained. To have a letter explaining the problem and solution is probably above and beyond what you had expected (as well as a ferrule upgrade), but shows that they care about the products that they are producing. In fact, manufacturers, add a couple of quid to every product and offer good customer service and aftercare!

I have the same chisels and exactly the same happened to me! £125 and five out of six split. They guy at workshop heaven was really good about it. Sent them back and they fixed them. Another gripe I have is they go rusty very easily and I use the fancy tool cleaning oils too. I saved ages to splash out on the nice chisels so I'm pretty disapointed. Although they are repaired yet again two more have split AGAIN. Gutted

I have the same chisels and exactly the same happened to me! £125 and five out of six split. They guy at workshop heaven was really good about it. Sent them back and they fixed them. Another gripe I have is they go rusty very easily and I use the fancy tool cleaning oils too. I saved ages to splash out on the nice chisels so I'm pretty disapointed. Although they are repaired yet again two more have split AGAIN and the repairs look rough. Gutted

Back