Ashley Iles Fixed Angle Ring Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have bought the replacement cutters for these tools with the intention of making the rest myself. Does anyone here have one ?

I would like to confirm the geometry of how the cutter is mounted. I believe the cutter is mounted on a flat ground across the diagonal, parallel to the length of the square bar with the underneath ground away to match the cutter radius.

Any comments?

Regards,

Mike C

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hans, I would appreciate some photos if possible, no rush.

Penman, the diagram is not too clear about the exact geometry on the end. Thanks for the reccomendation

Pete, thanks for the feedback.

Best wishes,

Mike C

Hi Mike,

Yes, your discription sounds about right. The square bar keeps the cutter positioned at 45deg all the while, making sure it is always at optimum cutting angle. It's a handy tool for end grain stuff like boxes and goblets and will get you a bit deeper than a spindle gouge, as Pete found out on Saturday. I only have the smaller version though.

HTH

Richard

Hi Mike,

as promised the pictures of the "Len Grantham" ring tool by Ashley Iles.
Klick the thumbnails for the original pictures.

Front view, as in use.

Bottom view, usually on the toolrest.

View from behind

Frontview, as in use without ring.

45° view from the front.

Success,

Hans

Hi Hans / Mike etc ...

Can I ask - how would you go about sharpening this one ?
I'm thinking it has to be 'round the external circumference' .. but also think there's probably some clever way to do it ...
how's it done ?

Ta !

When it eventually gets dull (after turning it slightly a few times). AI will sharpen it for you for free

All you do is pop it in an envelope with £1 and return it to Ashley Isles and they sharpen it for you.
Having said that I have had my small one :oops: :lol: :lol: for about 4 years and haven't had to sharpen it yet.

Malcolm

Really ? .. wow ! ... good service of course, bit of a 'faff' having to return a tool for sharpening to the OEM though !
Maybe its (partially) chemically sharpened then ? ....

Thats an interesting one ! ... be interesting to hear Hans / Richard's 'take' on this.. and what they have experienced. 8)

Edit : cheers Malcolm .. your post was there when I looked back after mine !

I use mine about once a month when making pots etc

Used it to make this
DSCF0219.jpg

I think it is a marvelous tool, you can shift a lot of wood in a short time and it gives a good finish.
I must admit that when I bought mine at a show just outside Peterborough
Len Grantham was there and he showed me how to use it correctly :lol: :lol:

Malcolm
P.S. Alun have you tried the cake yet :D

Thanks very much Hans that is exactly what I wanted :D :D :D

The current re-sharpening charge is quoted as "free" with a postage charge of £1.50.

The cutters come with the correct mounting screw (csk skt head) and allen key.

Thanks for all the replies, this forum has to be one of the best :D :D :D :D

Regards,

Mike C

Back