ashley iles chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhwbigley

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just received today a 1/8 and 3/8 ashley iles chisels, already have a 1/4 and 1 inch ones, there great.

any way, the 3/8 chisels bevels are not equal! its ok on one side, but the other side is not as tight as id like.

DSC01252.jpg

????? send back?

JHB

of course you should it you're not happy. Did you get them through workshop heaven? Either way the customer service is quite good, be it from Matthew or direct from Iles.

yes i got then through workshop heaven, i've sent them a email now.

its only cus i want it for dovetails!

Slightly off topic, but why didn't you get one of their dovetail chisels? They are perfect for the job and I also pick them up for other paring work as well

Ironballs":t914qu4k said:
Slightly off topic, but why didn't you get one of their dovetail chisels? They are perfect for the job and I also pick them up for other paring work as well

your right Ironballs, the dovetails would be what i really should be getting, but for now i'm building up my collection of good quality bevel edged chisels.

JHB

The Bevel edge are perfect for dovetails. The edges are super thin for getting into the corners. I got a full set recently and they are great. Apart from the 2 skew chisels in the dovetail set which would be handy for getting into lapped corners, i don't see a disadvantage to the bevel edge ones.

I had the same "problem" with my 1/2" AI chisel; the difference between the two sides was quite small. Indeed also my LN 1/2" has the same!!

Actually I don't care a lot......very good chisels BTW

I believe that the bevels are all ground by hand, so they do pretty damn well to get them as close as they do.

Does the difference in the bevels cause any problems in their usage? Or is it purely an astheic issue?

frugal":1342yey1 said:
Does the difference in the bevels cause any problems in their usage? Or is it purely an astheic issue?
Probably a bit of both, though an unequal bevel would irritate the hell outa me :evil: - Rob

jhwbigley":1ap19p1n said:

send matthewwh a pm - in my experience contact him directly is a lot more fruitful than emailing the general address

big soft moose":2etweaok said:
jhwbigley":2etweaok said:

send matthewwh a pm - in my experience contact him directly is a lot more fruitful than emailing the general address

No need, i have a replacement chisel next to me on my desk :D.

9.00am dovetail time! 8)

thanks Matthew!

JHB

Latest posts

Back