Ash bar top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o0dunk0o

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a pub refurb and we've just stripped all the brown stain of of the bar top revealing some nice pale ash

The client likes the look of the pale ash so I'm looking for suggestions as to what to finish it with.

most finishes I'm used to have a bit of tint and would give the ash a nasty yellow colour.

Any suggestions?

Don't be put off by the name, but Rustin's Plastic Coating could be just the stuff. Very tough, to stand up to being abused and left in the wet, and not much effect on the colour. It can be very shiny gloss or rubbed back to a more satin look if preferred.

I used r.p.c. about 25yrs ago on a bar counter - it's now wearing through on the edges. A warning though - just because it's perfectly dry to the touch, don't be tempted to put too many coats on too quickly or you'll get an unfortunate dimpling effect that you can't get rid off. I would put a thin base coat on then a second as soon as that drys - tell the landlord to look after it for a few days, then go back and give it a couple more coats. Make sure there are no sharp edges on the counter - any finish will rub through an edge that's anything like sharp. My friend did my local pub's counters with two part polyurethane - that is now rubbing through after 18yrs. That's worth a thought.

thanks guys,

I was considering 2 part poly but as the top is in place and I've had issues with polyurethane paints in enclosed spaces I wasn't keen on using it,

I'll look into the rustins stuff :grin:

o0dunk0o":24hvvrjb said:
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a pub refurb and we've just stripped all the brown stain of of the bar top revealing some nice pale ash

The client likes the look of the pale ash so I'm looking for suggestions as to what to finish it with.

most finishes I'm used to have a bit of tint and would give the ash a nasty yellow colour.

Any suggestions?
i just used a floor sealer on my american white ash and doesnt tend to yellow as varnish does

Back