Armoured cable supplier?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for TLC Direct. They'll cut SWA to length for you - £6.62 per m or £300 for 50m. They also have a useful voltage drop calculator on their website.

Terminating SWA is a PITA though, without the right tools. YT has some good videos.

If you're doing anything of complexity I'd get a friendly sparks in. They'll have all the testing gubbins and will sign off the work with building regs. If you think you need 10mm SWA it's probably a new circuit and therefore notifiable work.
Oh yeah I won't be terminating it myself I'm just running the cable putting all the plug sockets etc etc on the wall and getting an electrician to come around as in my brother-in-law to wire it terminate it hook it all up and test it, absolutely no chance I would give this a go myself lol

Yes it would be notifiable and more importantly without the test equipment you wll not be able to certify the work as safe, just because it works does not mean it is safe or correct.

How did you work out that you required 10mm and how many cores ? An important consideration in providing any supply is the means of earthing and the construction of the outbuilding.
I was advised if I'm running a new cable I should get at least 10 mm so that will be more than enough for my workshop tools, And if I ever needed an electric car the other side of the workshop that could just be hooked up rather than a whole new cable.

I use the company below, online subsidiary of Cleveland cables.
Pricing is normally very keen
https://www.superlecdirect.com/cables/steel-wire-armoured-cables-bs5467-pvc/?&conductor[]=10mm²&cores[]=3
Just had a look this is the best price I've seen really appreciate the recommendation website

Appreciate everybody's replies,

I had a new extension and when they saw what power was going to the garage stroke workshop it turned out just to be a spur off one of the sockets from the kitchen not an actual separate power fused power socket.

So this made sense that every time I put my thickness a planer and cyclone on the power the fuse would blow.

So the builders have run 10 mm from the house fuse box to the wall outside and I'm just going to run armoured cable from the house to the workshop then get a separate consumer unit fuse box.
I'm only going to run cables fix all the plug sockets to the walls etc etc
Then get my electrician brother-in-law around for dinner then let him crack on with terminating it all and testing it.

He mentioned about 10 mm because if I was to ever want to fit an electric car charger the other side of my workshop where my driveway is then it could just be terminated there rather than run a brand new cable to the house fuse box.

I'll be sure to let you know how I get on....

attached is my invoice for 10mm swa for my workshop power
Also is 1.5mm swa cable as I want an external light switchable from the house.

I've just noticed my address isn't on this invoice, bit odd.

But good service, arrived a couple of days later on large wooden drums.

Attachments

• CASH TRADE SALES AZTEC WEST0090713919.pdf
    12.7 KB · Views: 0
I was advised if I'm running a new cable I should get at least 10 mm so that will be more than enough for my workshop tools, And if I ever needed an electric car the other side of the workshop that could just be hooked up rather than a whole new cable.

That looks like some very bad advice, did they actually ask what size EV charger you will get in the future or list all the potential loads in the workshop ?

A cable is selected on design criteria so as it can deliver the required current to the load and maintain the required volt drop over the distance it runs, on top of this the means of earthing has to be taken into consideration including the type of supply to the property itself to ensure during any fault conditions no one gets fried. The advice you were given looks like they have thought of this cable as just an extension lead that is burried and I would seriously get a qualified electrician to undertake this job, it might cost more but what price do you put on life !

I also see you are running three core, if your property has a PMA supply then also use earthing rod at workshop end, you could have used just two core and again this looks like this is being treated as just an extension cable.

Depending where the external light is, if it is on your workshop then use a remote switch like this Remote Controlled Switch Box IP66 - 3 Gang | Knightsbridge (IP663G) so you can operate it from the house but no wiring back to house.

Back