ARGHHHHH!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinks

Established Member
Reaction score
Why is it, after taking lots of time cutting, drilling, trimming and finally turning a really nice pen blank (one of which was a beautiful golden camphor burl) you get it down to shape and ready for sanding and think "I'll just take a tint touch more off that end" and then, and only then, the damn thing bites and takes a lump out showing the brass tube!!

Twice this morning...one on a gentlemens fountain pen and the other on a resin blank that was a commission for xmas that I dont have a spare blank for!!

Coupled with a slight hangover after yesterdays " small glass of red while putting up the xmas tree" it has not been a good day!!!

Oh yes and Oh boy, I do know that feeling,
First touch of the day I wont go near anything part turned, I chuck a block of scrap in and turn to get my hands and eye in you have my heartfelt sympathy but I suspect its a bit like well just the way it goes.
Bet it doesnt put you off, in fact bet it makes you try harder :twisted:
Lol all the best.
Rend.

Blame it on the vino. Lesson is no turning tool in hand after a alcoholic drink or a hangover. Sorry

Hi

In my experience burr does not hold together well when turned to thin section - closer inspection on my failures of this nature usually indicate incomplete adhesive coverage in the area that breaks away. Ensuring 100% adhesion between the blank and the tube will reduce the risk of this type of failure as will thorough de-greasing of the tube prior to glue up.

Regards Mick

Faced with similar situations I find abrasive rarely bites and removes material reasonably quickly.

Spindle":3bfkar92 said:
Hi

In my experience burr does not hold together well when turned to thin section - closer inspection on my failures of this nature usually indicate incomplete adhesive coverage in the area that breaks away. Ensuring 100% adhesion between the blank and the tube will reduce the risk of this type of failure as will thorough de-greasing of the tube prior to glue up.

Regards Mick

Aha...excellent advice!!! I usually leave the end few mm of tube unglued to avoid glueing my fingers to the tube!! Lesson learned!!

Roger C":poqiubl2 said:
Blame it on the vino. Lesson is no turning tool in hand after a alcoholic drink or a hangover. Sorry

I would never turn anything with alcohol on board...My hangover was not too bad...I was more tired than hungover!

Although I have not had this particular problem, I knew from the title what I was about to read! I have the same problem with so many pieces, everything goes fine but usually during the finishing stage (when it's most difficult) something goes amiss that means a rescue has to be effected. It really is most frustrating, but also I think pretty much goes with the territory till you get very proficient.

Latest posts

Back