Aren't some folk mean!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up Mrs.Cozzer from work for lunch on her first day back.
She's been there for 10 years, working solely for her boss who's got to earn nearer £70k than £50k.
Knowing that she forked out for a 5 mini-bottle set of Scotch whisky for him before Christmas, it dawned on me that she'd not said what he'd got for her.
Nowt.
Sweet FA.
Not even, as it turned out, a card.
How tight can you get....

It's like they say, rich people stay rich by being tighter than a duck's proverbial.

And it's not just about money, it's about values. If someone isn't taught them, they won't even know when they are wrong or know what to do in certain situations.

Common sense is not that common anyway, but a good boss (or at least a good person) should feel embarrassed when their employee /subordinate gives them something and they don't reciprocate!

She's been there for 10 years, working solely for her boss who's got to earn nearer £70k than £50k.
Knowing that she forked out for a 5 mini-bottle set of Scotch whisky for him before Christmas, it dawned on me that she'd not said what he'd got for her.
Nowt.
Sweet FA.

He must have been doing something right, for her to feel sufficiently
motivated to get him a gift at all.

The Guru might ask, what was her motivation,
Because she holds him in high regard?
Because that is what you do at Christmas?
To prompt him to reply with a better gift?
To prompt him show her some appreciation?
Other..........................................?

The Guru might also why you are feeling hurt about it?

He must have been doing something right, for her to feel sufficiently
motivated to get him a gift at all.

He's usually a decent bloke, other than his habit of telling the adjoining workshop staff that if they don't like something, there's the door...

The Guru might ask, what was her motivation,
Because she holds him in high regard?
Because that is what you do at Christmas?
To prompt him to reply with a better gift?
To prompt him show her some appreciation?
Other..........................................?

The Guru might also why you are feeling hurt about it?

It's fairly obvious that The Guru doesn't buy his/her staff anything either.
What's The Guru's motivation for buying (say) his/her spouse a present for an occasion?
Does The Guru not think that's what folk do at Christmas?

Difficult one to pass judgement on without knowing his side of the story. He may earn £70k pa but give half his salary to charity or paying big care home fees for an elderly relative? He may have made the decision that the Christmas card thing has got out of hand and is donating to charity instead? He may feel he’s done other things throughout the year that went above and beyond for the benefit of his employees? He may want to avoid any illusion of favouritism and be unable to afford a present for all his employees?

It may be he is a tight git but there could also be a different version of the story from his perspective. It’s not always easy being a boss.

Nowt.
Sweet FA.
It probably shows that boss doesn't want to set a precedent where he would have to start doing pressies for all. Sensible, really.

I've not had many employees, but when I did, I gave them £50 at Christmas, they never gave me anything but a card once.

Nowt.
Sweet FA.
hmmmmm yearsago - the 80s - in a joinery workshop where there were four of us on the bench and two machinists in the place, we were given a £5 voucher each for Christmas by the multi-millionaire boss... it was expected to give him a present too... never did find out what he did with the £5 voucher...

In the early 70’s I worked with a predecessor firm of EY. One of the then big five accounting practices. Each Christmas we received a £5 Christmas box and a card. In about ‘75 we were told that as rampant inflation had eroded the value of the £5 it had been decided to no longer give a Christmas present. The card was also dispensed with.

Back