Are there any Saw Doctors left?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used those head mounted magnifiers also, but I find them unpleasant to use. I think it may be a design issue with mine, though, as the lenses are suspended a couple of inches in front of your eyes (I note that John’s are encased in plastic) and this means when you move your head you can find yourself catching sight of things in your peripheral vision - the result is that you are constantly refocusing in and out. Very disorientating!

I have a small dovetail saw which I would like to retooth to 16TPI, and I have been putting off doing it for fear of hours of going cross eyed. I think I will try bugbear’s strong reading glasses idea - my missus tells me you can get them for a few pounds at the supermarket.

nabs":m784e4e0 said:
I have used those head mounted magnifiers also, but I find them unpleasant to use. I think it may be a design issue with mine, though, as the lenses are suspended a couple of inches in front of your eyes (I note that John’s are encased in plastic) and this means when you move your head you can find yourself catching sight of things in your peripheral vision - the result is that you are constantly refocusing in and out. Very disorientating!

I have a small dovetail saw which I would like to retooth to 16TPI, and I have been putting off doing it for fear of hours of going cross eyed. I think I will try bugbear’s strong reading glasses idea - my missus tells me you can get them for a few pounds at the supermarket.

I use 3.0 dioptre (it's the strongest I've found on the supermarket rack); I'd also recommend having very good light. You'll not only want a small file (obvs) but a fine toothed file; on this scale it's all too easy to destroy a whole tooth in a single stroke.

BugBear

RogerP":7pt1irpq said:
Not in your area but I use Tewkesbury Saw Co. Newtown Trading Estate, Tewkesbury GL20 8JG Phone 01684 293092

Thanks, Roger. I've just used them to do two ripsaws, a tenon saw and a gentleman's saw. Very good service, explained their operations and costs up front (the two large saws could be done by machine, the smaller ones by hand), They don't do fleam cut though. The saws just came back and they are excellent. About ten days turnaround.

Keith

Where are you based in the north west. I'm a saw doctor and when we need stuff we use Ernest Bennett saws in Sheffield.

Back