Anyone want this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walter Hall

Established Member
Reaction score
This old lathe, probably late 19C early 20thC was originally treadle or belt driven. It was my first lathe which I used to drive with a washing machine motor hung off the back of the headstock. It has been lost in the depths of my workshop for the last ten years at least.

It has plain tapered oil lubricated bearings which need the attention of someone with some engineering knowledge and the whole thing needs restoring.

I have offered it to several museums but most have similar items already or are only interested in items with provenance from a particular industry.

If anyone feels inclined to restore it they are welcome to it if they come and collect it. Please drop me a PM if you are interested otherwise it goes to the scrap man.

3870615026_d3eae8448c.jpg

Alie Barnes":1sciks40 said:
if no one claims it surely its worth going on the Ebay might get something for it and it doesnt get scrapped.

you might also want to offer it on bodgers.org.uk as it would be worth having just for parts for a treadle lathe - if i was closer i'd have had it but i can justify that journey.

I'm the same as BSM I love these old lathes, a couple of tiems i've been tempted by treadle lathes on Ebay but neither finances nor distance allow unfortunately. Hope it finds a good home.

Pete

If you have no other takers then I'm happy to come and collect it and have a go at restoration.
Not far for me to travel as I'm in Newcastle.

Duncan

Thanks for you comments chaps.

I agree it would be a shame to scrap it, which is why I would rather someone took it with a view to restoration.

Duncan, as far as I am concerned it is first come first served so if you want it it is yours. If so PM me to make arrangements for collection.

Cheers

Walter

Hi Walter

Have you contacted Stuart King. He is a historian as well as being a turner and he may be interested. If not personally he may know of a museum or similar that would be interested.

www.stuartking.com

Take care

Mark

Thanks for all the comments chaps. Duncan has now collected it and plans to restore it. Perhaps he will keep us updated with progress.

Walter

Great bit of history there Walter ! ....
Duncan, when you get it ( or even better .. during the process of getting it .. ) restored, be brilliant to see some photos etc.

Well done both... the true 'value' of the forum comes to light yet again.

Thats excellent :wink: 8) :D

Jenx":2bt6jnj1 said:
Great bit of history there Walter ! ....
Duncan, when you get it ( or even better .. during the process of getting it .. ) restored, be brilliant to see some photos etc.

I was planning on it, but it'll be a while...

Latest posts

Back