Anyone used the Work Sharp tool sharpener yet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was mentioned in this months British Woodworking, they also say Rutlands will be stocking them

I've just finished reviewing it. As stated, it does up to 2in blades, but you can use the top bar freehand, and there is also an upgrade guide for up to 3in wide blades.
If you love Scary Sharp, this is the motorised version and it does the job really well. Ideal for flattening/prepping backs of new irons as well.

cheers,
Andy

Andy,
Thanks for the swift reply.
Have you tried sharpening turning tools yet, underneath the segmented disk.
It looks really good for normal chisels/plane irons etc as there appears to be a solid guide, but how easy is it to hold a roughing gouge or even finger profile spindle gouge under the segmented disk and get an even grind over the cutting profile?
For turning tools I can see that it would not be practical to try and change the grinding angle (not a problem as I have a Tormek for that) but the Work Sharp looks as if it could be really useful for renewing an edge on an existing profile, with no set up time and no water mess (unlike the Tormek).
Where I would envision using it is right next to the lathe, and as a tool became blunt I could turn to the Work Sharp, touch up the tool edge and get right back to turning with no jigs to set up and no mess.

Would welcome your thoughts/experience.

Regards - Martin.

I'm not sure I like the look of it for turning tools. It looks like it's be tricky to maintain the correct angle whilst rotating it. All the while underneath a spinning disc. I know you can see through it, but well enough to accurately hone a gouge?

I do like the look of it for flat blades tho. But expensive too.

Hi Martin,

I tried it on a couple or gouges and it works well enough - freehand as you mention, but I found it easy to do, you can see the bevel as you address the wheel through the slits so you can see it being ground/honed as you roll it and tweak the position accordingly.
Ideally you need to start on the righthand edge of the bevel as you look at it through the slots and roll towards the left. The disc rotation could snag the left side if you try to do it from that way first, although you can do it with care.
With the finer discs fitted, (down to 3 micron iirc) you are in the realms of fine honing stones making polising backs or honing an easy option. It does away with the need for honing guides on flat, square end tools, and is very fast in this respect.
Great for those who struggle to get repeatable consistent sharp edges easily.

Andy

Andy,
Thanks for the update, look forward to the full review, but may well be tempted to invest in one (unless you know someone who has a spare, little used one, they don't want?).

Regards - Martin.

(unless you know someone who has a spare, little used one, they don't want?).
Well Rutlands might at some stage! :lol:
I had the exclusive on it, and it's now gone back a bit worse for wear compared to what it first looked like...
I believe its being sent on to other mags for review as well.

Andy

Latest posts

Back