Anyone installed an external flue for a log burning stove in a two storey house?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where's this all heading I ask myself? Will it soon be illegal to light a bonfire? And what about candles, scented or otherwise? Where will it all end?!?!?

Regards,
Gordon.

Where I live in France it's now illegal to light a bonfire. Used to be a summer ban but now it's all year. I assume it's a country wide thing.

It's fairly simple so is a potential diy job, but you would need a tower scaffold and building regs sign off. A hetas fitter can self certify and should have a scaffold so may not end up costing much more.

Hello,

Just in the process of buying a chalet bungalow c1980 which has no chimney. I know, it's insane, what were they thinking about?! [I suppose dreaming of limitless north sea gas supplies!].

I've had a woodburner for years and also have around 3 years' worth of logs, which will hopefully be coming with me (the logs that is).

I'm guessing, the most likely option for installing a log burner will be fitting an external tubular chimney. So I was wondeirng if this is a DIY job, or something that a licensed installer has to do?

Anyone done this?
Hi, I sold wood stoves and designed /sold flue systems for over 12 years, was HETAS certified until I got old... HETAS, the controlling body that Building Control takes guidance from states that the stove/flue must be installed by a competent person, therefore if you deem yourself or a mate competent then you can install systems. However, as you would not be a recognised/certified installer the installation must be signed off by BC, this will incur a sum of around £90.00 unless the system is shown on approved plans, in which case it is part of the free sign off as with any other build process. The Stovax flue handbook is really the silly person's guide to flues, a wonderfully helpful introduction to an excellent system, not the cheapest but so easy to put together with very positive connections. A HETAS installer cannot sign off someone else's work. I have advised countless somewhat anxious builders on installing systems themselves and have always had them realise that it is so much easier than first thought! There is no more issue with home insurance than with any other area that has been carefully thought through and complies with any regs required.

+1 re an internal chimney. our neighbour’s 2 storey house was a 70s bungalow, now 2 storey. Previous owners ran an external pipe . Chunky because insulated it made the place look like a chip shop frier. The two 45 degree bends badly affected draw, making lighting it problematic. Since replaced with pipe going up vertically through the house. The same wood burner is in place. Much much better outcome on every count.

Lots of good information here. Thanks.

One more update from me. I was talking to a guy who is essentially a full time property developer. He has put in three external flues, each time doing either himself or getting one of his guys to do it. In each case, he used a HETAS certified chimney sweep to test and sign off. He reckoned the job is pretty straight forwards, the flue parts clipping together easily. I haven't got this house yet, so have plenty of time to come up with a plan. May try and incorporate a chimney into the extension design. That said, they don't look too bad if run externally IMO.

1d735949f895f9dc9f3413339907938a.jpeg

One more update from me. I was talking to a guy who is essentially a full time property developer. He has put in three external flues, each time doing either himself or getting one of his guys to do it. In each case, he used a HETAS certified chimney sweep to test and sign off. He reckoned the job is pretty straight forwards, the flue parts clipping together easily. I haven't got this house yet, so have plenty of time to come up with a plan. May try and incorporate a chimney into the extension design. That said, they don't look too bad if run externally IMO.

View attachment 156201
Hi, it's not permissible to have a HETAS-certified installer sign off someone else's work, he could lose his certification if caught doing this. Not being pedantic, it's just that it makes a mockery of the whole HETAS system if you could just sign off anything...

View attachment 156201
My neighbour has one like that. The top half to one metre doesn't stay shiny and clean for long. Something to consider.

Back