Anyone ID this tool ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovetaildave

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Bought in a bag of Hollowing tools from eBay.
No Makers name or and marking whatsoever. :?:
IMG_8296.JPG

Overall length 600mm (24").
Thickness or bar 19mm (3/4").
Neoprene/ dense sponge grip over steel tube.
Very heavy item.

I did manage to remove the bar from handle, revealing a locking pin going through the bar and connecting to both sides of the tube handle by twist locking action, cant do it again :roll:
IMG_8304.JPG
IMG_8302.JPG

Sharp end, some sort of half cutter with a shroud for limiting shaving thickness ? Three Allen bolts
IMG_8295.JPG
IMG_8300.JPG

Any help with this is much appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_8296.JPG
    IMG_8296.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,491
  • IMG_8304.JPG
    IMG_8304.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,491
  • IMG_8302.JPG
    IMG_8302.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,491
  • IMG_8295.JPG
    IMG_8295.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,491
  • IMG_8300.JPG
    IMG_8300.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,491
Shielded deep hollowing tool by the looks of it, lower cutter with top shield limiting the cut depth and restricting dig ins.

Home Made?

Sorry i cant help with naming it,from one pic i was going to say it looked like a guitar :oops: :roll: :D hope someone knows,looks like a complicated thingy at the moment,im sure a full explanation would see its mystery dissipate.

The hook type cutter would indicate it's a Woodcut tool. And the shape of it looks like the Deep Adjustable Hollowing Tool (DAHT). I'll check the one I have in the workshop though mine has a red handle.

With the DAHT the depth of cut (distance between cutter and shield) is adjusted by twisting the knurled part on the handle. Not sure it was intended to have the bar removed from the handle.

Thanks for the quick replies.
Chas, It just feels too professional to be homemade, although I've seen some great metalworking on this site.
The brass adjuster ring, turns 1.1/4 ish, the interference fit of the tube to handle is very snug, the only amateurish thing I can feel about it is the final fibre washer that butts against a circlip and the pin isn't fixed, a little super-glue maybe required.

I cant find my Allen keys so cant disassemble the sharp end just yet. now the daylight allows a better photos though.
IMG_8309.JPG

IMG_8310.JPG

IMG_8312.JPG

IMG_8313.JPG

IMG_8319.JPG

IMG_8320.JPG

IMG_8321.JPG

Mark, I imagine it only plays the sharp Keys :D

I'm new to hollowing as the new tools suggest, hence a basic question; I believe hollowing is done just above 9 o'clock correct me if I'm wrong. With all the Allen blots sticking out of the top, would this tool be use at 9 o'clock?

Do I rub the bevel and the top shield limits, as Chas said?

I'm eager to find out if there is a company behind this tool as there maybe other tools I can use with this handle. Or maybe some members here would know of tools with the same twist type fitting.

Since beginning this reply the boilerman came and has finish the repair at last.

Regards,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_8309.JPG
    IMG_8309.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMG_8310.JPG
    IMG_8310.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMG_8312.JPG
    IMG_8312.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMG_8313.JPG
    IMG_8313.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMG_8319.JPG
    IMG_8319.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMG_8320.JPG
    IMG_8320.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMG_8321.JPG
    IMG_8321.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,378
Dave

Sorry for late reply but been teaching.

As Chas has stated the limiter or shield allows you to set the depth of cut. Generally there is no bevel rub with these style of tools although with some the shield has been designed to give some support. The one you have doesn't appear to have been designed to give support as it's too flat.

Managed to check my DAHT and it does have a similar cutter but the handle is totally different as you can see from the images.

I wonder if what you have is an earlier model or even a prototype.

Attachments

• IMG_20160217_150350.jpg
    IMG_20160217_150350.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Handle.jpg
    Handle.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,223
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, any information is beneficial and encouraging.

I bought this secondhand, I've been told that the previous owner was a turner of some repute, a Mr Patrick Blake, now deceased. I think I should maybe start a new thread about him, I'd love to know more about the man and I'm told he was an award winning turner, who sold items through a gallery's.

As it was once Patrick's, I think you could be right, It is possible that its a prototype or very early model as he would have been a known turner/tester, Maybe there's a woodcut rep on here who may know something.

"As Chas has stated the limiter or shield allows you to set the depth of cut. Generally there is no bevel rub with these style of tools although with some the shield has been designed to give some support. The one you have doesn't appear to have been designed to give support as it's too flat."
Does that mean its not a usable tool ?

I have purposely not changed or tampered with the cutter or shield as I expect it may be still the same setup as when Patrick last put it down,(IMG_8319.JPG) it looks like the cutter projects forward, nothing to the side.
Would this mean its to be used for boring ?

Based on buying these deep hollowing tools, I have now just joined the "North London Woodturners" in a hope to learn more about turning and specifically how to use these tools safely, I will take them along to a meeting and ask there about their practical use.

I read on the Programme for 2016 that you will be demonstration for us on June 15th. I'm looking forward to meeting you then :D

Hi Dave

It is a useable hollowing tool. Just saying that the design doesn't allow for additional support that some tools give.

You are limited in setting the depth of cut because of the design as well. With the shield being part of the tool shaft it doesn't allow for any side ways movement so the cut will be to the front and to the left. You'll need to get use to adjusting the depth of cut so you can get some cut on the left.

If you remember bring it along to the demo as I'd be interested in seeing it in the flesh and I can give some pointers with regard to using it.

Hi Mark,

"Managed to check my DAHT and it does have a similar cutter but the handle is totally different as you can see from the images. I wonder if what you have is an earlier model or even a prototype".

I wrote to Woodcut tools and he/they wrote back and said;
"Yes, I believe that this tool was manufactured by us and is one of the early developments of our current Proforme Hollowing tool."

So Mark, you were bang on the money with that one thanks :D

Still have to self teach myself to use it though, I presume I will reduce the projection it currently is set to . The use it on endgrain and pull it from a drilled-out centre outwards?
Regards,
Dave

Hi Dave

Glad to help but I did get it slightly wrong; the DAHT came before the Proforme :D

Yes they are normally used on parallel grain (endgrain) timber but as they are designed to work on the side of the wood fibres they cut in both directions i.e. inside to out and outside to in. Hence the drilling of a hole before you start using the tool. You can tell when it's working because of the long shavings coming off.

Thanks for the help and advice mark.

I notice your on a 7 for 7 , and 777 posts......

I'm not a gambler but......it is lottery night :wink:

Back