Any Way do sharpen a SurForm?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
I was clearing up a bit today and I came across my Dad's old Surform. I'm not sure what he used it for but I found it here when we moved in and later put it to work a couple of times when doing some shaping.

I wondered if these things can/should be sharpened?

hehe I didn't realise the blade was replaceable. Who's the chimp now? :lol:

Ah, brilliant!

Last night I was moaning about how much I missed my Surform because I found the body but thought it was obsolete.

Thanks Smudger,

Brendan

Just out of interest, what do you two plan to use them for? I used one of the small ones in the summer to rasp off some lumps on a wall (don't ask) but apart from that I don't think I've ever used it.

Just googled "Surform" not knowing what it was :lol: , and i think i have one of those knocking about somewhere, but never knowing what it was called so thanks for that, now i know :D :D

Woody

I want to use it as a super smoother, of course ;)

I keep it for sentimental reasons. My Dad is/was not a woodworker, more of an avid DIY'er. So there's not many old tools that he has/had. I used it last year when I was making a convex shaped stool seat. It helped knock all the high spots down from the table saw kerfs. I guess it's just a rasp in a plane body. Actually, I've used it on plaster board to flush up an edge of something I boxed in, before the plasterer came in. Worked well, but is probably the reason it's not not as sharp as it once was :D

Smudger,

I bought a Surform 29 years ago when I got married and was sorting out a DIY kit and I found it was useful for cleaning up saw cuts, smoothing plaster repairs, cleaning lap joints etc. No finesse but better than do-rightly.

Brendan

wizer":1rs8lgy1 said:
I want to use it as a super smoother, of course ;)

I keep it for sentimental reasons. My Dad is/was not a woodworker, more of an avid DIY'er. So there's not many old tools that he has/had. I used it last year when I was making a convex shaped stool seat. It helped knock all the high spots down from the table saw kerfs. I guess it's just a rasp in a plane body. Actually, I've used it on plaster board to flush up an edge of something I boxed in, before the plasterer came in. Worked well, but is probably the reason it's not not as sharp as it once was :D

They're good on plaster, but the edge goes very quickly. Which was how I knew they make replacement cutters. I've had one for about 40 years, the other one I bought specifically for this job in France. I don't think I'd use it on wood, though - a block plane is a better bet, though I can see it might take over from a rasp.

I forgot to mention - you can vary how aggressive you want the cut to be by changing the angle of approach. It certainly wouldn't give a finish cut but for getting around a problem or a quick clean-up it's fine. If I remember rightly, at the time I bought my Surform there were different grades of rasp available.

Brendan

Shaping guitar necks, best tool available for roughing out the shape. Imagine they could be useful in chair making, as previously said, Sam Maloof used to use one

Surforms were marketed as a DIY tool and I quote from a 1972 Stanley catalogue:

"Use it on wood, brickwork, leather (!), plaster, metals, plastic laminates - it will take practically any surface in its stride".

I've had one for many years and felt they never functioned that well on wood. The teeth dulled too quickly. Just the ticket for cleaning up rough plasterwork, though.

Plaster is probably what my Dad had one for.

I've always wanted to see what the micro plane rasps were like. Same idea but supposedly better.

To sharpen the blades (yes I know they are replaceable, but what the heck ..) why not try a little citric acid. Buy the tubs from the supermarket (it is used in baking), toss a couple in a bucket of warm water. Leave for a few days.

This is a good way of sharpening old files. Leave those for a week.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yes I know that I've resurrected a thread 7 years old but it's Christmas and golden oldies always get dragged up at this time of year.

Would a surform be any good in place of a scrub plane given it's hogging off abilities?

Also, how do you pronounce it, "surf-orm" or "sure form"?

Cheers.

No.

Far too fine for scrub planing, you need a cambered blade across the grain.

A wide wooden rebate (1"+) work well.

Pete

Latest posts

Back