Any views on Erbauer mitre saw? Or perhaps Evolution Rage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
my SIP mitre saw packed up yesterday. I was cutting some stuff and released the trigger but the motor and blade kept going. I walked over to the wall switch and by that time (seconds) blue smoke had started pouring from the saw. I have owned ot from new, bought about 6 years ago, but I'm not a professional user and it hasn't had heavy use - nowhere near it actually. So I was a bit disappointed that it has burnt out, although the laser packed in within a few months of purchase, then the bevel scale fell off - just a bit of glued-on plastic.

Anyhow I need a new one but I'm not able to justify the £400-500 needed for the regular makes, and I'm a bit reluctant to go down the second hand route here because I would expect anyone selling a Makita or DeWalt would be doing so for a good reason, like it's had a hard life and is clapped out, so no more accurate than a cheaper make. So despite usually keeping away from cheap tools, I've been looking at the Erbauer saws from Screwfix. They have mostly great reviews with only one or two poor reviews (out of 30 or so).

Does anyone have experience of these - I was thinking of the 255mm blade version? Any comments on accuracy and reliability would be gratefully received. I don't want a saw that doesn't cut accurately, nor do I want to have to replace it again in a few years.

I was also looking at Evolution, but their reviews seem to be not so good. Any views on these?

K

I was also thinking about the evolution (fury?) saw. Is there anything special about the blade as they are always advertising that it will cut through almost anything.

Sorry to jump on your post.

Well I thought SIP was quite a good make, but it didn't take me long before finding out the truth (laser / bevel scale). I'll keep away from SIP from now on. Regarding the Rage, I have read several reviews complaining about the amount of splintering from the blade when cutting wood. Quite a few other poor comments too. I'm not sure the ability to cut through wood with nails in is that important to me. I have been caught out once or twice but I think having a clean cut is more important. I think I'd rather invest in one of those metal detector type gadgets that detect hidden nails - that would save not only mitre saw blades but table saw blades and planer blades as well.

K

I've got the Evolution Rage 3 sliding mitre chop saw and must say I find it great for what I want it to do. I can't remember the depth of cut at the moment but when considering the Evolution Rage 3 check what depth material you will be cutting before purchase.

Screwfix had a deal on not long ago (2/3 weeks) at £69.99 I paid £99.99 for mine and I'm happy with it. It's only used for hobby work but does everything I want it to.

graduate_owner":3n6smjeg said:
I think I'd rather invest in one of those metal detector type gadgets that detect hidden nails - that would save not only mitre saw blades but table saw blades and planer blades as well.K

If you are using reclaimed wood don't forget to check for grit as well, very nearly put a nail free, clean looking plank though my planer as a test after fitting new blades. Thankfully I checked twice and spotted the embedded grit. The perils of collecting wood from the beach. :shock:

I did own a Erbauer sliding mitre saw, but took it back after a couple of weeks. It couldn't cut true every time (vertically). Doubt I'd buy anything Erbauer again. They are a throw away brand, once the warranty is over. I do have a small Evolution Rage 3 mitre saw which I use for cutting metal if it needs to be more accurate than cutting with a grinder. Definitely cheap and cheerful, but then it was only £50, so I'm not complaining. I've no experience with their more expensive products.

Have you considered Metabo? I suspect their entry level tools will be better than Erbauer.

OK, thanks for the replies. What about the Scheppach MSS10? I've seen these on ebay for £150 new, but there are no reviews yet. I have a Scheppach table saw and I'm pleased with that, but I've read rubbish reviews on one of Scheppach's pillar drills, so some of their stuff may be cr@p.

K

Back