Any network monitoring software for the Mac?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I keep my Time Capsule in the lockup next to my workshop. It is connected back to the switch in the house and the Macs via ethernet cable.

I also piggyback off the Time Capsule a NetGear wireless access point to feed the workshop iPod.

Been having problems for a long time with Home Sharing on the iPod/iMac although Safari on the iPod seemed fine.

Just recently though I've been getting "Backup Disk not available' on Time Machine and so just starting to wonder if perhaps I have a flakey bit of ethernet. Before I go through the hassle of running a new cable, I thought I might check to see if there was some sort of network monitoring program on the mac that I could leave running for a week ..busily pinging the workshop, I guess// and then reporting on any errors. Bit like What's Up Gold on the PC...but drawing a blank so far on Google.

Any suggestions?

cambournepete":1jcqjv4o said:
Does Fing do what you want?

Pete...you are THE MAN! =D> =D> =D> That is a brilliant program....mind you had to hunt for it as I didn't realise it ran from the terminal.

But....identified that I had two conflicting devices sharing the same IP address. Static addresses now in place!

It was strange as I thought that with DHCP my router would have given out different addresses when both the Time Capsule and then the Netgear WiFi Access point were fired up.

The best result has been that Home Sharing now works flawlessly. You should have seen the grin on my face when I looked at the iPod Touch to see Shared as an option without me having to threaten/bully/bribe/beat it into submission.

Depends how long the DHCP lease is set up to be.
Rather than use a static address, which you have to remember, you might like to configure the wifi to assign the same DHCP address to each device you want static - that way all the address config is in one place.
I did that for my printer - it's very inconvenient when that keeps changing address...

Back