Any Heating Engineers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Our water's gawn all funny.

This morning we've had low flow and the hot water went off completely at one point. I 'rebooted' the boiler and got the hot water back but the flow was still low. I fiddled with the boiler and managed to release the (water?) pressure. The dial on the front is now at 0. When I turn the filling key, nothing happens? Now the water has completely stopped upstairs and down stairs is just a trickle?

Any pointers before I sell my daughter for a heating engineer ?? :shock:

Can't help you Tom, but Jenx is your man! :D

Is it the same for cold as well as hot or do you have full cold flow?

If nothing happens when opening the filling loop then it sounds like your cold water supply rather than hot to me, but that's just a very lowly educated guess.

If it's cold water then your supplier (UU, Thames Water, whoever) are the people to talk to.

Hi Wizer

The filling loop on pressurised boilers is supposed to be disconnected once the recommended pressure is reached so that you can't get any back-flow into the mains water supply (not very likely to happen). Many installers leave the filling loop in place, but leave the valves at either end switched off (as is the case with my boiler). When I need to top up the pressure, I need to open two valves at either end of the filling loop, and then turn the filling key to let the water in.

Have a look and see if you can find some more taps/valves to turn on near the filling key.

Spot on Mark. It's the water supply. After I posted, I went out to the docs. On my way out I saw lots of people with bottled water. I just called Thames Water and they have a power failure at their pumping station.

So I'm joining the great unwashed today :lol:

PS: Jim. Our boiler only has one tap to fill pressure, not a loop. Normally you just turn it and it fills up. The above explains why nothing was happening.

wizer":495n5vq9 said:
Spot on Mark. It's the water supply. After I posted, I went out to the docs. On my way out I saw lots of people with bottled water. I just called Thames Water and they have a power failure at their pumping station.

So I'm joining the great unwashed today :lol:

PS: Jim. Our boiler only has one tap to fill pressure, not a loop. Normally you just turn it and it fills up. The above explains why nothing was happening.
WooHoo, does that now make me a qualified heating engineer? ;)

That filling tap is the loop btw ;) I think it's calld a loop because it 'loops' between the mains feed and the heating system. Mine too only has a single tap to open to fill the system.

At least it's not at your end though. Does that mean the money saved can buy a new toy? ;)

TrimTheKing":2phul2ts said:
oes that mean the money saved can buy a new toy? ;)

hmm it IS pay day and I do have a specific gadget in mind.....

:-$ [-X

I'm afraid it is a gadget and the combined eye rolling on here and tut tutting might cause the planet to implode or something. I'll spill when I've had a chance to test it thoroughly ;)

wizer":1dy68h3i said:
:-$ [-X

I'm afraid it is a gadget and the combined eye rolling on here and tut tutting might cause the planet to implode or something. I'll spill when I've had a chance to test it thoroughly ;)
Haha, you'll get no eye rolling or tutting from this quarter, I am all for gadgeteering :D

Missus has just bought a Canon 5D MkII for her foray into photography so that it being thoroughly 'tested' at the moment. And I have just bought myself one of these bad boys, so I am all up for gadgets. I have absolutely no need for this, just liked the look of it, and got a great deal on the 'bay...:D

I await with baited breath...

I've never got on with multi remotes. I had a few of the Harmony ones and in the end they went in the draw and out came the three they replaced.

wizer":4nug1igg said:
I've never got on with multi remotes. I had a few of the Harmony ones and in the end they went in the draw and out came the three they replaced.
This is much more advanced than the harmony ones, Harmonies are definitely the 'more advanced user' end of the market, but the Nevo is into pro install realms.

Works with RF, IR and Wi-Fi and can do all kinds of trickery, even down to controlling the curtains (if you are poncey and have powered curtain rails :oops:

This one retails at over £600 but I got it for just over £200 :D Shame it's been sat in the box for 8 months apart from the couple of hours I played with it ;) Shame on me. I hope to get a little play time with it when I have a couple of weeks holiday soon...

:D

Back